• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

64-bit Support

#1 User is offline   Pumice 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

I know this has been asked before, but are there any plans for Excelsior JET 64-bit support?

#2 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

I know I answered this question before.  8)

This time I'll be more definitive. The work has been started and we plan to release 64-bit version for Windows and Linux in 2009. We have invested lots of resources in preparing this port so the new version will match the maturity and overall quality of the 32-bit version. First beta will appear in 2Q 2009.

---------

Note also that the current Excelsior JET 6.0 has been thoroughly tested on popular 64-bit platforms so it should work flawlessly.  Moreover, 32-bit applications built with Excelsior JET can allocate up to 3GB of heap space when run on a 64-bit platform. That's better than 1.9GB affordable on 32-bit Windows.

I know certain apps need more but we need one year more to make it happen.  8)

---------

May I ask why you're interested in 64-bit version? Do you develop, say, an engineering application that requires large heaps or something else?

#3 User is offline   mwilson 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

> May I ask why you're interested in 64-bit version?
> Do you develop, say, an engineering application that requires large heaps or something else?

We develop document processing systems (mainly doing iterative statistical categorisation and clustering) that need to process large data sets (and thus use large heaps) and also make heavy use of 64-bit integers. Currently the inner loops are in C, linked to the main Java system via JNI. We'd switch to Excelsior if it could deliver similar capabilities and performance with a Java-only codebase. Hopefully your compiler will make full use of the extra registers and 64-bit integer operations for evaluating long expressions.

#4 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:32 AM

Currently the inner loops are in C, linked to the main Java system via JNI. We'd switch to Excelsior if it could deliver similar capabilities and performance with a Java-only codebase.

Please let us know the results of your evaluation.

#5 User is offline   dmiles@users.sourceforge. 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

My application requires a 4GB heap to start up.
( Strangly with GNU Classpath as my RT  it requires 5 to 6GB heap)

My application also is a document classification system (using deep semantic anyalysis on natural language) so I am stuck needing 64bit as well

Please put me on the Beta (No, I mean Alpha testing list) for 64bit ! L) :)

#6 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Please put me on the Beta (No, I mean Alpha testing list) for 64bit !

You may subscribe to the Excelsior JET mailing list at

http://www.excelsior...tsubscribe.html

#7 User is offline   dmiles@users.sourceforge. 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:04 AM

ok I am subscribed

#8 User is offline   sciviz 

• PipPip

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Any update on a 64-bit compiler, even alpha or beta test?

#9 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

No updates at this moment.

#10 User is offline   maitri982 

• Pip

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

So what is the new estimate of the beta?  We are anxious for this product...

#11 User is offline   sciviz 

• PipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I don't see an answer to this question?  The 64-bit compiler has been promised for years.  Is there a current schedule for delivering it?

So what is the new estimate of the beta?  We are anxious for this product...

#12 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:02 AM

Let me make things clear.

1. In all posts concerning the 64-bit port we made the reservation that particular dates are not yet defined. We never undertook any obligations to deliver the 64-bit version according to some schedule. 

2. 64-bit port is a mammoth (and therefore expensive) task so before making it the key feature of the next release we must invest enough into preparing the port

3. We do want to release 64-bit version of Excelsior JET

The current status is as follows. We continue working on 64-bit port but the amount of resources we are currently spending for it, is not enough to make it the key new feature of the forthcoming release of Excelsior JET.

The next checkpoint to make the decision is 4Q 2009 after we will issue Excelsior JET 7.0

#13 User is offline   MemoryHungry 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

On February 14, 2008, zztop wrote:

This time I'll be more definitive. (...) The work has been started and we plan to release 64-bit version for Windows and Linux in 2009. (...) First beta will appear in 2Q 2009.

Since we need a 64-bit version for Windows, this promise played an important role in our decision to purchase Jet, as well as in our decision to renew the support agreement. Our scientific application needs to support > 4 GB for some of our customers.

Now, in the post from September 22, 2009, zztop wrote:

The next checkpoint to make the decision is 4Q 2009 after we will issue Excelsior JET 7.0

Not only was the "more definitive" promise not kept, but it is questionable if 64-bit support will be added in the next major update after 7.0.

I can understand that features get delayed. But do you really feel no obligation to deliver on previously made promises?

#14 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

I can understand that features get delayed. But do you really feel no obligation to deliver on previously made promises?

I'm sorry that we were not able to deliver 64-bit version as initially planned. There were objective reasons for that.

Since we need a 64-bit version for Windows, this promise played an important role in our decision to purchase Jet, as well as in our decision to renew the support agreement.

I believe you are aware of that the Excelsior JET License Agreement and Excelsior JET Support Contract do not include any obligations w.r.t. features/capabilities to appear in future releases of the product.

#15 User is offline   sciviz 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

Everyone understands that you don't have a contractual obligation to deliver what you said was planned on the schedule that you provided, but your most recent posts imply that you no longer have any specific plans whatsoever to deliver a 64-bit compiler.

It appears that you say that you "want" to provide a 64-bit compiler but that you aren't investing any resources to get it done, that you don't have any specific plans to do so, but will think about it in the future.  Is that the situation?  It is just bad customer relations to say you're going to do something and then when you don't get it done be so vague about the new situation.  At least communicate clearly.

I have email from Excelsior JET from mid-2006 that stated: "Excelsior plans to enable JET for creating  64-bit code during next year."  Another, from late-2006 stated: "We plan to release a version with support for 64-bit AMD platform as well as with support of Vista in the next year (3-4Q 2007)."  Then, in this thread in early 2008: "This time I'll be more definitive. The work has been started and we plan to release 64-bit version for Windows and Linux in 2009. We have invested lots of resources in preparing this port so the new version will match the maturity and overall quality of the 32-bit version. First beta will appear in 2Q 2009."

Virtually every new Windows machine is being sold with a 64-bit architecture and 64-bit OS.  Even low-end machines are being sold with 4GB RAM.  Yet, it appears Excelsior JET has no plans to provide a 64-bit compiler.

Unfortunately, my advice to those who have not yet developed solutions that would rely on a 64-bit compiler from Excelsior JET to consider alternative approaches.  Even those of us who are current customers will need to consider redeveloping with other approaches.

#16 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

your most recent posts imply that you no longer have any specific plans whatsoever to deliver a 64-bit compiler

This is a speculative assumption that reflects your own opinion.

Virtually every new Windows machine is being sold with a 64-bit architecture and 64-bit OS. Even low-end machines are being sold with 4GB RAM.

But not all applications require heap which is larger than 4GB. Java applications compiled with the current version of Excelsior JET run flawlessly on 64-bit Windows and Linux operating systems. And it did not come "for free" - we worked on it.

Yet, it appears Excelsior JET has no plans to provide a 64-bit compiler.

It appears you've drawn a wrong conclusion from my recent post.

#17 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

It's not only planned but being actively developed.

#18 User is offline   sciviz 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

It's not only planned but being actively developed.

Can you provide us with any current information regarding schedule and/or roadmap?

#19 User is offline   sciviz 

• PipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Can anyone from Excelsior provide an update status for a 64-bit compiler?

#20 User is offline   mwilson 

• Pip

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

I posted here two and a half years ago saying that 64-bit support was required to make JET a good option for knowledge management / enterprise search / data mining, and this is even more true now. The lack of any further updates as to the target release date for the 64-bit version is disappointing.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users