Excelsior Forums: JET Windows Service Not Starting Automatically - Excelsior Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JET Windows Service Not Starting Automatically

#1 User is offline   Xray 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hello,

We have a Windows Service that we have built and deployed using Excelsior Jet 6.5.  It is working great for the most part, but we have an issue reported that the service does not come up automatically after a system reboot (even though it is configured to do so).  However, an administrator can start the service up manually without any problem and it continues to run fine until the next time the system is rebooted.

I asked the user to check the system event log and the following errors were reported:

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the My Service to connect."

and also:

"The My Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

The interesting thing is that my init() method in WinService subclass does not do anything, so it should not be any a timeout issue from this code.  We were also thinking that perhaps this service had an unknown dependency.  The service is long running and will open up a TCP server socket and export a couple of RMI objects.  However, this is all initiated from the run() method.  I also added some log output to see if I could trace where it might be getting hung up, but it appears not to even get to my code because the log file does not even get created (using Log4J).

Finally, this issue is not effecting most customers.

As I am not familiar with the internals of Windows Services, I was just curious if anyone else had this issue or could provide some insight.

Many thanks,
Ned

#2 User is offline   Xray 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

I should mention that the host system which is having this issue is Windows XP

#3 User is offline   zztop 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:40 AM

I asked the user to check the system event log and the following errors were reported:

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the My Service to connect."

Imagine that a bunch of services is started on the user machine. If so, chances are good that the default timeout (30sec) is not enough for the service to start.

I would recommend you to increase the initialization timeout using the method setInitTimeout() of the Excelsior Winservice API.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users