One more License Question
Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:52 PM
Another question; when is the roadmap for the version 4 of Excelsior JET. When can we expect that great product to be out?
Please a quick answer would be great. My group needs to take a business decision as soon as possible.
Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:28 PM
1. It uses J2SE 5.0 features.
2. It uses AWT or Swing. Note that there is an AWT bridge in SWT ([tt]org.eclipse.swt.internal.awt[/tt]), which you must explicitly exclude from the compilation set as described in this Knowledge Base article.
3. It uses the JDBC-ODBC bridge (AFAIK it is only required to access MS Access databases).
4. It uses the JPEG image manupulation classes.
So if you use SWT for GUI and compile your app against a J2SE 1.3 or 1.4 based profile, it most likely won't need the JRE.
To your other question, we plan to release Excelsior JET 4.0 in September-October 2005. It will create executables that will run without the Sun JRE regardless of what APIs they use, but they will have to be distributed with all JET runtime DLLs (in the current and previous versions you can omit the runtime DLLs that you think are not required.) So if download size in important for you, you may be better off with Excelsior JET 3.7 and SWT.
Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:49 PM
Thanks for ur answer. One notice and some few related questions:
1) It seems that in SWT 3.1, org.eclipse.swt.internal.awt was moved to org.eclipse.swt.awt
2) I downloaded the evaluation version of Excelsior JET 3.7 and could build a profile with JRE 1.5 without problem. Yet, I am not able to build such a profile for JRE 1.4. Is that the intended behavior or am I doing something wrong. If this is the intended behavior, how can I build a 1.4 profile?
3) What exactly are JPEG manipulation classes? Is there something else than javax.imageio.plugins.jpeg?
I have an application that has 7.5 MB. Excelsior JET produces an EXE file that is 16.5 MB. Is it possible that this is a version without JRE?
Thanks once more.