Based on the results of the Fall 2012 customer survey, and on our own observations such as technical support statistics, the following few features will be deprecated in version 8.0. This means they will be unavailable in the 64-bit version, and will be removed from the 32-bit one in the next major release.
Features deprecated in Excelsior JET 8.0:
- Optimizing JIT compiler (see Note 1 below)
- JIT caching (including recompilation and deployment)
- Executable Image Optimizer (see Note 2)
- Splash screen extensions (see Note 3)
- We aim at making the Fast JIT compiler produce better code while avoiding substantial increase of run time overheads.
- The two related features — Startup Optimizer and Startup Accelerator — will remain fully supported and maintained on both Windows and Linux.
- Deprecated are only extensions specific to Excelsior JET. Those extensions date back to 2005, i.e. prior to the introduction of the now-standard splash screen API to Java SE.
Then, due to engineering resource constraints, we had to put some features aside while finalizing our work on the 64-bit version. Therefore the following features will not be present in the first 64-bit release in addition to the deprecated features listed above.
Features that will be absent in 64-bit Excelsior JET 8.0 for Windows:
- Startup Optimizer and Startup Accelerator
- Global Optimizer, and hence Java Runtime Slim-Down and disk footprint reduction
- Generation of trial versions
To sum it up once more:
- Version 8.0 will be functionally equivalent to Excelsior JET 7.6. We expect application performance and stability improvements, thanks to the new runtime, but feature-wise there will be no difference.
- The next major version will have the deprecated features removed.
- Version 8.0 will not include a number of features that will be present in the 32‑bit version.
- Of those, the non-deprecated features will be ported over to the 64‑bit version later.
If you have any questions or concerns, please post them in the comments below, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.