Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linuxhippy

CIFS file sharing and Excelsior's rt-jar

Hello,

If I woud deploy an application compiled with Excelsior over smb/cifs (default windows shared folder) - if some classes of rt.jar need to be loaded - will windows transfer the whole rt.jar or only the parts really needed?

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens

If I woud deploy an application compiled with Excelsior over smb/cifs (default windows shared folder) - if some classes of rt.jar need to be loaded

It depends on the compilation mode you use.

Do you use the Global Optimizer? If yes, do you create a detached package (Java Runtime Slim-Down model)?

Please be more specific.

compilation using the global optimizer (~14mb executable), runtime-slim-down removing some packages but leaving awt/swing/rmi there.

So all not compiled, detached classes are stored on a zip-compressed rt.jar file.

Will the file be downloaded at once over cifs or in chunks (e.g. 512kb) when accessing a chunk.

I know its more a question of how CIFS works, than excelsior ;)

lg Clemens

If the detached package is accessed by the running app, the JET Runtime downloads it as a single file. No breakdown is implemented.

However, if you have detached only the Java SE components marked as not used in the JetPackII GUI (green labels), the downloading will unlikely occur at run time.

I did not talk about the jet-download itself but rather how CIFS (the windows network file system) works.

So I did not mean the lazy download of detached packages over http supported by JET.

lg Clemens

I did not talk about the jet-download itself but rather how CIFS (the windows network file system) works

If so, this thread's subject had to be something like

"CIFS file sharing internals"

not

"CIFS file sharing and Excelsior's rt-jar"

B) 

Well right, sorry *redface*.

If the Jet-runtime has to load additional classes out of the rt.jar file (just zipped, not pack200'ered) will it read the _whole_ rt.jar file at once or only the zip.index and the location where the classes reside?

Sorry for the confusion, lg Clemens