Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mercenarius

K6-III

My low-end test machine has a K6-III 450 MHz processor. It is currently running Windows XP Professional SP2.

Applications made with Jet 5.0 don't run on this machine. I tried two applications, one of which is a very simple Swing-based app. The console window appears, then closes without displaying anything.

Is this to be expected? Is this hardware not supported? Applications with Jet 4.5 worked on the machine. I don't remember about 4.8. These applications run fine on other machines, including an old Pentium III.

If the applications made with Jet 5.0 should work, then there is something else wrong with the machine. And yes, I realize that Super Socket 7 always sucked a little. I can try a different motherboard if there is nothing wrong with this class of processor.

Thanks

James

My low-end test machine has a K6-III 450 MHz processor.

Please let us know why you use such "oldies" hardware.

Do you develop an embedded system?

No, it's a game. And I'd like to be able to support older hardware if the video card is halfway decent.

Now, I don't necessarily care exactly where the "bottom end" is, but it would be nice to know what the minimal hardware configuration actually is. I mean, I have to list some kind of system requirements, right?

No, it's a game. And I'd like to be able to support older hardware if the video card is halfway decent.

That's not about video card, that's about CPU model.

In the latest versions of Excelsior JET, only Excelsior JET Embedded Edition supports ancient x86 hardware.

If you need a custom solution, please contact Excelsior Support Dept. at java@excelsior-usa.com. Otherwise, declare "CPU: Pentium II-class or compatible" as the bottom line in the system requirements.

Well such systems are still quite common in Office use, and to be honest I don't see any reason why a K6-3 should be too slow to run some simple Swing-based apps.

On the other hand ... well ... there's still Sun's java as fallback solution so.

Maybe a compiler-switch as most other compiler support would be the developer-friendliest way.

lg Clemens