Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skamar

Hitting 64K roof of symbol table in the linker

Hi

I've been playing around with compiling an application with JET. As you may guess from the subject, the application is quite large.  With my current setup the compilation runs fine, but the linker crashes as the symbol table is full. Is this an absolute limit or configurable?

If I assume that there is nothing one can do about the symbl table size, I suppose there are a number of things one can do according to your documentation:

1. Strip down the exe to the essentials, and use mixed compilation mode to load the less central stuff on demand. I suppose there is no limitation on the amount of classes in the run time system.

2. Try to split into separate DLL's which might be tricky due to dependencies in my case.

What do you suggest?

Best Regards

Martin Skarsaune, Norway

Hi,

The limitation is removed in forthcoming JET 6.0 (closed beta is available now, you may contact Support to get access to it).

Both ways you describe are good to solve the problem with the current version of JET.  The first way in cooperation with Global Optimizer is preferrable in terms of performance (until dynamic loading becomes too massive). The second is preferrable in terms of compilation time.