Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pietry

Usage in Open Source

I am an Open Source developer, and I have a project in Java. Is it possible for me to use the evaluation version of Excelsior Jet for my project ? ( It's not commercial or anything, just free under GPL) ( this could be helpful for your product by advertising )

I am an Open Source developer, and I have a project in Java. Is it possible for me to use the evaluation version of Excelsior Jet for my project ? ( It's not commercial or anything, just free under GPL) ( this could be helpful for your product by advertising )

No, it is not. The evaluation license does not allow redistribution. And in any case, the evaluation package produces executables that time out on a fixed date.

We do grant free licenses to authors of non-commercial Java apps (not necessarily open source) in return for some promotion for our product. However, the Excelsior JET runtime license is not GPL-compatible. You would have to change the license for the natively compiled version, which is only possible if you own the copyright for all GPLed pieces code in your app.

LGPL is ok, as well as many other open source licenses.

Please feel free to email our Sales Dept. with more questions.

As far as I understand its perfectly legal to compile GPL software with JET, because its a "basis framework", some kind of operating system. Its also legal to compile GPL apps with VC++ and distribute them and also to run GNU software on Windows ;)

lg Clemens

As far as I understand its perfectly legal to compile GPL software with JET, because its a "basis framework", some kind of operating system. Its also legal to compile GPL apps with VC++ and distribute them and also to run GNU software on Windows ;)

You mix compilation and distribution. Simply put, GPL permits you to do whatever you want with the source code, the restrictions are on distribution. You may only redistribute GPL apps compiled with VC++ if you link to the VC++ runtime dynamically.

The Excelsior JET Runtime contains our proprietary code and Sun code licensed under SCSL Commercial Use, which is not GPL-compatible.