Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
roytsganda

Runtime error #9(trap) in Jet

I have "Runtime error #9(trap) in Jet" 

This occasionally happens when dragging and dropping things into my app - things including files, icons and favicons, all of which work normally most of the time, but occasionally fail with the "not permitted" icon (circle with diagonal line) and occasionally fails with the above Jet message as well. 

The "not permitted" icon never appears when running the app in Java (1.4.2)

I'm using Jet 4.0 with MP1.

Any ideas, please?

Roy

Hi,

"Runtime error #9(trap)" is one of internal JET errors which may be caused by plenty of various reasons.

The first thing I would suggest is to try the latest Excelsior JET and check if the problem appears on it.

You can download evaluation version from http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetdleval.html.

In general, we cannot investigate such issues without debugging the application and reproducing the error. So the fastest way to find out what caused this error is to send us a sample reproducing it, or provide a remote access to the system where the error appears. You can contact us by sending all information to java@excelsior-usa.com. Be sure to include information about version of Excelsior JET, OS version, CPU and RAM capacity.

However in most cases the reason of such problems is incorrect native method or JNI misuse.

If you are using native libraries (your own or 3rd-party), then it is a good idea to run your application with "-Xcheck:jni" option enabled on Sun JRE:

java -Xcheck:jni -cp foo.jar MyMain

Regards,

-AlexM

Thanks for the info.  I am indeed using JNI with my own DLLs, so I'll try your suggestion and see what that brings to light.  One problem is that this error #9 is exceedingly rare (but still has users complaining), so it's not just a case of producing a small piece of code to demo it.

Is there any source for explanations of Jet errors?  Even if there could be many explanations for one error, this would give your customers something to go on.  I could not find any explanation of the #9 error anywhere on the web.

Regards,

Roy

Hi,

In fact, trap #9 is an error reported by system exception/signal handler, installed by Excelsior JET runtime.

On windows, it stands for EXCEPTION_PRIV_INSTRUCTION - "The thread tried to execute an instruction whose operation is not allowed in the current machine mode."

On Linux, it stands for SIGILL signal with ILL_PRVOPC code.

Usually it means that instruction pointer points to some invalid instruction (and probably it is out of executable code segment). It could be caused by plenty of reasons.

Regards,

-AlexM