Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mistryl

UAC Support for Vista

I was hoping when you released Jet 6 that it would have UAC Support for Vista, as this is probably one of the biggest changes from XP to Vista.

In case you are not aware, UAC (or User Account Control) allows Vista to elevate privileges from either within code or as part of the startup of an executable.

Microsoft recommends that you add a UAC manifest resource to all executables to help Vista determine what execution level is appropriate for the application.

In our applications case, if they have Administrative rights, we would like it to run as administrator.

But there is no option within Jet for doing this as part of a normal application build and it really should be there if you are claiming Vista compatibility.

If you need any info, this blog link gives a good run down of how to do it and why you need to :

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnfa/archive/2006/04/06/568563.aspx

Hope you can add this to a future release as it really is important for Vista support.

Of course, when we was adding support for Vista in JET 5.0, UAC was the number one, with what we was fighting.

So since JET 5.0, every jet-compiled executable has a UAC manifest resource. The execution level in it is "asInvoker". So it should meet your requirement as I see.

If you would  like to change default UAC manifest resource, you may replace the resource that can be found here:

<JETInstallDir>\lib\x86\app.res

I may agree that we may add more explicit way to customize the resource, however our JET 5.0 support shows that the default resource is enough for the most users.

Sorry for reply this old post. But Im having problems with UAC/Adm Permission.

In the java code, I try to create a file in a folder. And to access this folder I have to start my app with Adm permission.

Exist a way to, when the app try to access this folder, ask for execute as administrator? Or, when install an app, I set something to automaticly execute as administrator?

Thks!

Exist a way to, when the app try to access this folder, ask for execute as administrator?

AFAIK, no. There is no way to elevate already running program on demand. The only possible workaround here, I guess, is to execute another program via Windows shell with administrator privileges that will access the folder.

Or, when install an app, I set something to automaticly execute as administrator?

Thks!

You may use the workaround discussed above for this (See my post at December 10 2007). You may patch the UAC manifest with "asAdministrator" execution level.