Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tanelorn

JET6 : Global Optimizer and Importation

Hi,

While recompiling a project with the new Excelsior JET 6 compiler, I was met with the following error message:

* [ *** F505 ]                                               

*  Error importing xxx.prj (in project yyy.prj): projects that use Global Optimizer can not import other project

The message makes sense, but I seem to remember that I was able to perform this kind of compilation under JET 5.

This (supposedly) new behaviour means that the Global Optimizer cannot be used on Multi-Component Applications (as described by the manual).

Is there a workaround for this (ie, referencing JET-compiled components from a globally-optimized app)? Using the -LOOKUP directive instead of !use, perhaps?

Best regards.

This (supposedly) new behaviour means that the Global Optimizer cannot be used on Multi-Component Applications (as described by the manual).

We have added this check because a globally optimized EXE includes the JET Runtime and cannot correctly use DLLs compiled separately.

The problem is that DLLs  use another (shared) copy of the runtime.

There are also other restrictions that may cause incorrect behavior of the app.

Guess why we have implemented the check?

After debugging a customer issue in JET 5.0 we found that the app crashed because the customer tried to use both multi-component model and the Global Optimizer at the same time.

It's not possible by design of the Global Optimizer.

Why do you need it?

We have added this check because a globally optimized EXE includes the JET Runtime and cannot correctly use DLLs compiled separately.

The problem is that DLLs  use another (shared) copy of the runtime.

OK, that definitely makes sense. I suspected something like that.

Why do you need it?

Actually, I liked the idea of having a smaller "rt" directory and a more aggressively optimized application. But I have no strong reasons to stick to it, and I prefer to benefit from the multi-component possibility.

Thanks for those informations!

Regards.