Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Qdex

Using the SmartCard IO API

Hi there,

My Java application runs fine under Intellij IDEA, but when I compile using JET 6.0 it no longer detects any card readers and therefore can no longer communicate with the smart card in my reader.

I used to use the Open Card Framework (OCF), but Sun has now included a smartcard API in Java SE 1.6.

Does JET support this in 6.0?

I used to use the Open Card Framework (OCF), but Sun has now included a smartcard API in Java SE 1.6.

So what do you use now: OCF or  Java 6 smartcard API? BTW, I do not see the later in public APIs doc at http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/, so can you point me what exactly you mean by this?

Indeed, Excelsior JET 6.0 supports all public features of Java SE 6 that covered by JCK.

Can you confirm, that your program works ok when it runs on a fresh (not modified) installation of Sun JRE 1.6, assuming that you specify the same classpath, Java system properties and working directory that you specify for JET 6.0?

Thank you very much for the link.

I have examined the issue and found that there is a problem with it in JET 6.0.

It is astonishing for me that this concrete API is not necessary to be supported in order to be Java SE 6 compatible, so JCK 6 does not cover it.

However we may support it and are working on it now. Can you send us a sample on its usage that we can easily test during this job?

I have just found the following note at Sun site http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/security/enhancements.html:

"Sun's Java SE 6 implementation bundles the Smart Card I/O API defined by JSR 268 as well as a provider called SunPCSC which uses the platform's native PC/SC Smart Card stack, if available. Note that neither the API nor the SunPCSC provider are part of the Java SE 6 platform specification and may not be present on other compliant Java SE implementations. "

However, as I said, we are working to support it.

We have fixed the problem. Anybody, who would like to receive the hotfix, may email to Support: java at excelsior-usa.com