Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gumi

Hardlock Protection with Aladdin HASP

Hi,

I'm testing at the moment the demo version of jet, it is quit nice.

But we have a problem to protect the exe file wit Aladdins HASP SRM.

When the exe starts an the USB hardlock is not present every sing is ok the app don't start.

Now I plug in the Hardlock and start the app again.

The exe starts as expect, ok that's fine, but now I remove the Hardlock

and the exe is still running without the hardlock, the checking time is be 4 sec.

Can somebody give me a hint.

Many thanks

Best regrads

mirco

PS: I tired the protection with MS Editor  and it is like expected

Hi,

I do not know how Aladdins HASP SRM works and why it cannot work properly with Excelsior JET.

Have you tried to ask this question to Aladdins technical support?

I can confirm the above problem.

However, I have another related question:

JetPackII would not let me package the executable protected with HASP.  Is there a good workaround for this?

Thanks

One workaround I just figured is to prepare a JetPack distribution, install it on the developer's machine and then make another non-JetPack install package with the protected executable in place of the unprotected one.

... not a very elegant solution.

Is there a better  one?

Thanks

install it on the developer's machine and then make another non-JetPack install package with the protected executable in place of the unprotected one.

In other words, use the installed "rt" folder and the protected executable to make a non-JetPack installation package.

I suppose I can Jet another "starter" executable and Jet-package it with the HASP-protected one, since JetPack will let me package one HASP protected and one HASP-unprotected executable (but not HASP-protected alone).

This looks a little better.  Thanks, me.  You're welcome.

I can confirm the above problem.

Use HASP to protect rt\jetrt\XKRNxxxx.dll. This solved the problem in gumi's case.

JetPackII would not let me package the executable protected with HASP.  Is there a good workaround for this?

Below is a standard procedure for creating and deploying JET-compiled applications encrypted with a third-party tool.

Suppose you have created the installation package in JetPackII and the application (say app.exe) works on target machines without encryption. You have a project file, say, YourApp.jpn.

1. Call

xpack YourApp.jpn -make-image for_encryption_dir

3. Encrypt app.exe in "for_encryption_dir" directory (in your case you should also protect XKRNxxxx.dll which can be found in the folder .\rt\jetrt)

4. Create the installer with this command:

xpack YourApp.jpn -from-image for_encryption_dir

For more information, please read JET User's Guide, Chapter "Deployment automation", Section "Installations protected by license managers"