Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linuxhippy

Question about academic license

Hi there,

I am a student at the technical university vienna in Austria. I am developing an open-source RIA browser, well, which could benefit a lot from Excelsior-JET.

It would be great if you could answer me a few questions about the academic license:

1.) My project is GPL and freeware, not commercial but not directly linked to my university activies for now.

I hope I can make my diploma using this stuff as its some really complicated piece of software for my terms and quite tricky , but, for now its not linked with university. May I use the academic license for this project?

2.) Is it allowed to deploy my RIA browser on the internet? Whats about companies using my RIA browser, and adding/developing own plugins (using java-classes dynamically loaded with the "small" JIT compiler). Is this allowed?

Will the academic license display a popup like the evaluation version?

Has the academic license a global optimizer, thats the only feature I really care about.

3.) If all those points are fine, how long does the license last?

If I finish with university, are the distributed executables not legal anymore, or may I just not use my academic anymore license to compile new code to native?

Thanks for answering, lg Clemens

PS: Jet is cool :-)

Hi there,

I am a student at the technical university vienna in Austria. I am developing an open-source RIA browser, well, which could benefit a lot from Excelsior-JET.

It would be great if you could answer me a few questions about the academic license:

1.) My project is GPL and freeware, not commercial but not directly linked to my university activies for now.

First of all, the Excelsior JET Runtime license is not GPL-compatible. LGPL, BSD, CPL, and many other open-source licenses are all fine, but not GPL.

If you own the copyright, you may dual-license your project or change the license.

I hope I can make my diploma using this stuff as its some really complicated piece of software for my terms and quite tricky , but, for now its not linked with university. May I use the academic license for this project?

The free non-commercial license would be more appropriate.

2.) Is it allowed to deploy my RIA browser on the internet? Whats about companies using my RIA browser, and adding/developing own plugins (using java-classes dynamically loaded with the "small" JIT compiler). Is this allowed?

Yes, absolutely.

Will the academic license display a popup like the evaluation version?

No.

Has the academic license a global optimizer, thats the only feature I really care about.

Yes, it has all features of the Professional Edition, only the license is different.

3.) If all those points are fine, how long does the license last?

If I finish with university, are the distributed executables not legal anymore, or may I just not use my academic anymore license to compile new code to native?

If you break all links with the academic environment, the executables will remain legal, but you must stop using the Academic Edition.

PS: Jet is cool :-)

Thanks. :)

If you own the copyright, you may dual-license your project or change the license.

Yes, its dual-licensed anyway (GPL and freeware), so this should not be a large problem

If you break all links with the academic environment, the executables will remain legal, but you must stop using the Academic Edition.

Good to know, otherwise it would scare me a bit ;)

I am not sure. My project is not one of those show-case projects, it has not even really started up with many users, which is stated as requirement for the free non-commercial license.

I have not decided yet, but would the academic license also be allowed to use for this case?

lg Clemens

I am not sure. My project is not one of those show-case projects, it has not even really started up with many users, which is stated as requirement for the free non-commercial license.

I have not decided yet, but would the academic license also be allowed to use for this case?

Would you mind telling us a bit more about your project so that we could advise you better? It is a bit difficult to judge without knowing any details.

Would you mind telling us a bit more about your project so that we could advise you better? It is a bit difficult to judge without knowing any details.

Sure ;)

Its a framework called (at least for now) JUIBrowser.

Its some kind of remote-interface-interpreter, which means you can run swing-like code on the server, however the server just creates an UI description and sends it down to a small client which interprets the result.

Very much like SAP interfaces, but much more flexible.

It has some good qualities:

1.) Practically all user-code runs on server (however its possible to include own code in the client and call it from the server). No state-tracking, no compilcated client-server communication.

2.) Client stays always small (goal is <100kb) and the same also if app is changed, even for >1Mio projects and loads fast.

3.) One roundtrip guaranteed. Clever logic keeps roundtrips down to 1 per user-interaction, for not-registered events no roundtrip is needed.

I started tinkering about this, because one of my projects (the first really large I did) ended up almost in a mess with client-server communication, and was hard to get right. This thing would have solved me a lot of time and troubles ;)

However the user-base is small, I don't think that many devs are interested in such things.

My favourite use-case are internet-applications which are for now written in ugly Ajax, like chats, portals.

Also it could be intersting for large enterprise-apps like call-center management ..., where deployment is a major hassle.

A very pre-alpha project page can  be found at: http://juibrowser.sf.net

However the demo there really sucks ;)

lg Clemens

Sure ;)

Its a framework called (at least for now) JUIBrowser.

Its some kind of remote-interface-interpreter, which means you can run swing-like code on the server, however the server just creates an UI description and sends it down to a small client which interprets the result.

Very much like SAP interfaces, but much more flexible.

So is it something like Canoo ULC (Ultra Light Client)?

Where does Excelsior JET fit in your framework?

So is it something like Canoo ULC (Ultra Light Client)?

Hey, did not know you know ULC :-)

Yes, JUIBrowser is pretty much the same as ULC, it shares the same ideas.

So, JUIBrowser is a free and open-source version of ULC. I have already a modified netbeans version which can generate code, very much like the ULC designer.

Another goal is to keep the client-runtime small (less than 100kb, preferable <50k) whereas ULC is quite a fat client (~600kb last time I checked).

Excelsior-Jet would allow organizations using JUIBrowser to deploy the runtime to a shared-folder - and therefor would allow to run it without any 3rd party software installation.

An app-private JRE is not really well suited for this task, because of the large working set which has to be transmitted over network..

I think this could be really benefitial for JUIBrowser, because what I have seen JRE installations are a step-child of larger organizations - my last project was deployed on 1.3.1 on clients.

However I don't know how fast JUIBrowser can progress, I don't have any projects which could benefit of a transition to JUIBrowser.

lg Clemens

Excelsior-Jet would allow organizations using JUIBrowser to deploy the runtime to a shared-folder - and therefor would allow to run it without any 3rd party software installation.

An app-private JRE is not really well suited for this task, because of the large working set which has to be transmitted over network..

So the code running on the client is the same regardless of the application, correct? If yes, it indeed makes sense to precompile it. However, a ULC app may run as either applet or JNLP app, but Excelsior JET does not support either. How would your end users launch their apps?

So the code running on the client is the same regardless of the application, correct? If yes, it indeed makes sense to precompile it.

Exactly, always the same code is executed (which interprets the commands from the server) on the client, except for the case that the developer uses self-written components. Thats why I asked about "plugin" loaded by the JIT.

However a non-interactive server-side only custom component is in the works too.

However, a ULC app may run as either applet or JNLP app, but Excelsior JET does not support either. How would your end users launch their apps?

If the user wishes to run the JET-compiled executable (which he most likely will prefer :) ), he can launch a stand-alone application.

Applet and Webstart can still be used if running "in" a JVM.

lg Clemens

Wow thanks a lot - I did not even think about asking for a free license because its such a boring, not very well known project.

Thanks you did agree to the free license :)

lg Clemens

Top-ranked at

http://openjdk.java.net/challenge/

Our congratulations, lg Clemens B)

-- Excelsior Java Team

Thanks a lot for the gratulations :)

For now its quite ugly code, I plan a rewrite generating X11 protocol in java directly, for some time now.

Who knows maybe some day it will be deployed with Excelsior JET for Linux ;) ... if it will be integrated into OpenJDK some day (I really hope so).

Thanks again, Clemens

Who knows maybe some day it will be deployed with Excelsior JET for Linux  ... if it will be integrated into OpenJDK some day (I really hope so).

Are you dreaming of a better future?  B)

Are you dreaming of a better future?  B)

No, just of better 2d performance on linux desktops ;)

Do you know wether JET has optimizations for sun.misc.Unsafe or for NIO buffers?

I am still working on JUIBrowser, I hope your offer won't expire because of the delay ;)

Thanks, Clemens