Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kyt

JFileChooser

There is a very bad bug in 1.6.0_3 that makes JFileChooser very very slow.

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6578753

The latest Java still has it.  We need it to browse directories.  AWT FileDialog works well, but it's not good for directory browsing. 

Somebody better do something fast.  It's important.  :'(

Excelsior, can you please make sure you will provide a suitable profile when it becomes available?  Thanks

Yes, of course we will provide the profile as soon as we have the source code with the bug fixed. As a licensee we typically receive the source code a bit earlier than official Sun updates are out.

If it's very important for you, we can fix the bug right now on consultancy basis. For details, see

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/blog/?p=70

We are not your customer yet and we can wait for a few more months for this bug to go away (one way or another).  Thanks for the offer though, we will keep it mind.

It's important for us to see it fixed, but it is more important for the Java developers out there who have their applications with JFileChooser in the field already. 

FYI: This or the related bug may not have become apparent until after one tried to browse directories with large zip files in them. 

Thank you. 

FYI: This or the related bug may not have become apparent until after one tried to browse directories with large zip files in them. 

We are aware of this issue in details because Excelsior JET GUI tools also use JFileChooser and our QA team encountered the problem when we switched to Java 6.

We tried to fix the bug but it requires more than one day we could allocate at that time.

We will keep track of the Sun bug fixing activity. As far as I know the next major update with bug fixes will be out in Fall 2008 so it's hard to expect this particualr fix anytime soon.

We are not your customer yet and we can wait for a few more months for this bug to go away (one way or another).  Thanks for the offer though, we will keep it mind

This makes me a some kind of curious.

Why are you posting here for help, if you are not using Excelsior-JET?

lg Clemens

Well, we are evaluating the tool.  I guess that makes us a "semi-customer" :huh:

It's in our interests, as future customers, to make sure this team is aware of the Java bug.

It's been helpful to post here -- we got information about the custom fixes. 

Sorry if we caused you some discomfort.  :-*

Sorry if we caused you some discomfort. 

Not at all, I was just curious about the reason you asked about this.

I just can add that JET is great, although I am also no customer.

But just because I don't have anything to compile with it, otherwise it would not be a hard descision ;)

lg Clemens

Excelsior,

This problem does not seem to appear with Java 1.6.0.

Is there a chance you can provide a 1.6.0 add-on? (or 1.6.0_1, if it works OK?)

Thanks

This problem does not seem to appear with Java 1.6.0.

correct

Is there a chance you can provide a 1.6.0 add-on? (or 1.6.0_1, if it works OK?)

we can prepare and publish the add-on though our customers did not ask for that so far.

The problem is that the early Java 6 microversions have lots of bugs fixed in later microversions so it's not obvious if it makes sense to spend resources on preparing the add-on.

Does your app work flawlessly with early Java 6 microversions?

"Does your app work flawlessly with early Java 6 microversions?"

We haven't seen any problems with our application.

JFileChooser does not work with JET 6.4 and Windows XP. It works for Vista and Linux but not for XP. With 6.0 i habe no Problems with it. Sorry about my english. I hope you will fix the bug soon. I testet the bug with xp sp3.

Greetings

Markus

JFileChooser does not work with JET 6.4 and Windows XP

According to our testing results, it does work. To get convinced of that, just launch the JET Control Panel (which is written in Java and compiled with Excelsior JET 6.4) from the Start Menu and click Open on the splash screen.

If you believe that JFileChooser does not work under certain conditions, please be more specific and describe a detailed scenario or provide us with a test case.

We are aware of this issue in details because Excelsior JET GUI tools also use JFileChooser and our QA team encountered the problem when we switched to Java 6.

I see that Sun fixed this bug in 1.6.0_11

Taking into account the history of JFileChooser (starting from JDK 1.2), we need to double check it first.  B)

If what you say has really happened, we will definitely add support for Java 6 Update 11 in Jan 2009.