Excelsior Forums
White-Elephant

ISO Modula-2 Documentation

Hi,

Does anyone know where we can get printable documentation concerning ISO Modula-2?

We have the PIM books from Wirth but these don't desctibe the ISO enhancements. A reasonably priced book or PDF to print & search would be very helpful.

For example, is there any way to tell ISO Modula-2 that variables are volatile?

Ahlan :huh:

White-Elephant asked:

"Does anyone know where we can get printable documentation concerning ISO Modula-2?"

The XDS distributions come with a directory called "pdf" that contains documentation.  An on-line shareware textbook on ISO Modula-2 was written by R. Sutcliffe, who is the sometimes maintainer of the Modula-2 usenet FAQ.  These two sources should be of help.

john

(Note that this is for Linux, not Windows - I can  put the postscript files online, but I'm not sure what the documentation license is.)

For those that would like to print the PDFs, here is a script I use.  This is for perfect bound books (like paperbacks or some magazines).  If you want to print out a pamphlet (that is stapled in the middle and folded, leave out the -s in the psbook line.  If you want signatures,  change -s to 4xnumberOfPages (i.e., 8 page signatures would be -s 32). Also, change "media" if necessary (i.e., media="a4")

1. Obtain a postscript file. Let's say I've copied [tt]/usr/local/xds/pdf/isolib.pdf[/tt] to ~/temp - I'd then run [tt]$ pdf2ps isolib.pdf[/tt]

2. my script is named "mkbook-pb" - so I'd then run: [tt]$ mkbook-pb isolib.ps[/tt]

3. That leaves me with 2 files: "isolib.up.ps" and "isolib.down.ps" -  I would print these (in my case, using a laser with face-down output) with:

[tt]$ lp isolib.up.ps[/tt]

I'd then flip the pages over, and

[tt]$ lp isolib.down.ps[/tt]

If you have face-up output, add [tt]-o outputorder=reverse[/tt] to the lp command of one of the two files (or change the -0 in [tt]pstops -p$media 2:-0[/tt] to 0)

This will give you a nice book (which you'll have to fold or cut, and then bind).   Binding is easier than you'd think and doesn't take any expensive items.  There are a number of tutorials on how to bind books available online, or you can let me know that you want more details, and I'll tell you how I do it.

#!/bin/sh
fname=$(basename $1 .ps)
media="letter"

psbook -s4 $1 |

pstops -p$media '2:0L@.7(21cm,0)+1L@.7(21cm,13.35cm)' \
       > $fname.tmp.ps 

# Printing to a laser that outputs face-down, so I reverse the
#    output of both
pstops -p$media 2:-0 $fname.tmp.ps $fname.up.ps
pstops -p$media 2:-1 $fname.tmp.ps $fname.down.ps

rm $fname.tmp.ps

http://freepages.modula2.org/m2faq.html#faq5

The Sharebook by Mr. Sutcliffe was also available as a .pdf file - but I never tried to print the whole thing.

Christoph

Christoph, I'm curious where you saw the .pdf - I've purchased it ('it' being the shareware book, not the .pdf) twice over the years, I used to have a local copy if I remember correctly, but I can't find it anywhere.

Terry

I also payed for the book - I do not know if it is available for "viewing before paying" somewhere in the pdf form. If you purchased the book I am sure sending Mr Sutcliffe an email with the order-information or something will be enough to request the file.

C