Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kyt

run_myapp.bat

Hi,

Jet creates a "run_myapp.bat" file with command that looks something like that: "REM SET JETVMPROP=-Djava.library.path:lib -Djet.jit.fast -Djet.gc.heaplimit:198967296 -Djet.gc.ratio:11 ".

These options were defined in "myapp.prj" file.  Will these options still be followed/set, if I don't use "run_myapp.bat" file to run the application?

I can see that "-Djava.library.path" is followed/set without the the .bat file, however, I have to be sure about the rest.

Thank you.

That is a commented line added for your convenience ("REM" marks a comment), so that you could play with the run time settings without recompiling the application. The settings match the project file.

Typically, you would copy that line and remove "REM " and any settings you do not want to change. You may also add some settings, e.g.

SET JETVMPROP=-Djet.gc.ratio:50 -Djet.log.dlls

would set the GC ratio to 5% and have the runtime report the names of loaded DLLs.

Hello,

I'm having problems running a Jet-compiled executable from a USB drive (U3 smart) on a machine that does not have Jet installed on -- the exe complains about JET/bin path. 

I have prepared an installation package using JetPackII and included all the files in the USB.  The same package works well when the exe is run from a hard drive on a machine that does not have Jet installed on.

Is this a normal behavior on Windows (I just tried Windows so far)?  Is this a bug?

I really would like to avoid setting PATH (if that can help) and running the exe from run_myapp.bat or other launcher.

Thanks a lot.

kyt, let's check that I understood your correctly:

You have prepared a self contained directory with a JetPackII and copied it (a) as whole (e.g. you have not removed even a single file from a rt folder) and (B)without any changes (e.g. you have not replaced executable in the self contained folder with a newer one) onto your USB drive. Then you inserted that USB drive into a machine with no Excelsior JET installed and tried to run the JET compiled executable from the self contained directory, but failed.

Am I correct?

Yes, I did exactly that, but it was a u3-specific installation. 

However, today (I have prepared everything from scratch) it worked like a few times before -- the problem is not consistent.

I can't figure out what happened, but I'm pretty sure that when the problem happened the preparation of the package was the same as you described.  I have an uncontrollable desire to blame on Windows, but no evidence to support it.

I'll post any information when I get something new. 

BTW, U3 first copies the files to be executed to the hard drive and then the program is executed.

The exe and "rt" directory are/were in my U3 "host" directory, so they are copied to the hard drive together.