Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kyt

JOptionPane and NVIDIA driver on Linux

Hello.

There is a problem with running Jet and JetPack on Linux machines since these utilities use Java.

Details:

When I enable NVIDIA graphics accelerator driver (Enable the driver: System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, reboot required) on my Ubuntu 8.04, JOptionPane dialogs start to malfunction. 

You can see this in Jet and JetPack.  For example, open your standard edition Jet and try to change GC ratio -- you should see a message  box with some text and "OK" button, but very often the box is empty. Screenshot is attached.

I just assume Jet uses JOptionPane. I don't know if using java.awt.Dialog will solve this problem.

I just reported this bug to Sun.  It may take a while for them to fix it. 

post-2649-1302856990251_thumb.jpg

I just reported this bug to Sun.  It may take a while for them to fix it. 

Did you manage to reproduce it on the Sun HotSpot JVM?

I guess the problem is most likely in the nvidia driver itself, would be great if you could report the problem there too:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Thats the place where nvidia devs look for reports. please mention that the problem only happens with the nvidia driver.

lg Clemens

I guess the problem is most likely in the nvidia driver itself, would be great if you could report the problem there too

In this case, I can only make judgments about what I see, and what I see is that JOptionPane malfunctions.

I will leave it to Sun to figure out what exactly causes the problem.