Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qnr

Does anyone actually read these things? Or are the visits just from bots?

I see the views count going up all the time, but not a single response to any of the threads.

Snowman observed: "I'd say the Modula-2 community has disappeared years ago. Just look at the posts to comp.lang.modula2."

This newsgroup is perhaps not the best indicator of interest.  (For example, the FAQ maintainer is not even interested in updating his own FAQ, despite requests.)  On the other hand, GNU Modula-2 is quite active as well as Murus. 

We're not dead yet.

Yeah, I know, I follow both mailing lists and dabble in both Mocka and GM2.

I've always wondered if actual real-time encounters might spur people a bit.  I suppose that that is not going to happen though.  I've had a #modula-2 channel on irc.freenode.net for years, and it has had perhaps 3 individual visitors in the last 18 months.

I'd say the Modula-2 community has disappeared years ago. :( Just look at the posts to comp.lang.modula2.

You could properly encourage the Modula-2 community, having released the XDS in open source (AS IS).

What you lose from this step? Whereas the development and even product support has stopped many years ago.  :'(

I'd say the Modula-2 community has disappeared years ago. :( Just look at the posts to comp.lang.modula2.

You could properly encourage the Modula-2 community, having released the XDS in open source (AS IS).

What you lose from this step? Whereas the development and even product support has stopped many years ago.  :'(

The effort is not worth the result for us. It would be just a loss of engineering resources.

There are already open source Modula-2 compilers and that does not help much to grow the community.

The effort is not worth the result for us. It would be just a loss of engineering resources.

There are already open source Modula-2 compilers and that does not help much to grow the community.

"As is" it means as is at present. Without any additional efforts and loss of engineering resources, there can be some loss of intellectual property.

Unfortunately, I did not see any high-grade ISO Modula-2 compiler with an open source comparable with XDS or StonyBrook.

"As is" it means as is at present. Without any additional efforts and loss of engineering resources, there can be some loss of intellectual property.

At present is is available as a binary installer. Releasing a buildable source requires engineering resources. If I just zip the build directory and put it online it would be of little use to anyone.

Releasing a buildable source requires engineering resources.

This is a business decision that I accept but could you please satisfy my curiosity?  Is the compiler written in Modula-2 and were compiler tools used?

Is the compiler written in Modula-2 and were compiler tools used?

The compiler is written in Oberon-2, runtime is Modula-2 and assembly, debugger is Modula-2, linker is C++, IDE is plain C.

As for compiler tools, the parser is hand-written, BURG is used for code generation.

For today's programmers /a specially for students/  Modula-2 sounds like a name from Jurassic time,  but I am still using it each time I need to write stable code quickly. Of course could be good to hear feedback if still anybody starts working on new projects and choosing Modula ?

For today's programmers /a specially for students/  Modula-2 sounds like a name from Jurassic time,  but I am still using it each time I need to write stable code quickly. Of course could be good to hear feedback if still anybody starts working on new projects and choosing Modula ?

Well, there's nothing really wrong with that.  If they're willing to accept C, they should be willing to accept Modula-2, C has been around even longer.

The bot that I use on the #modula-2 channel of irc.freenode.org is done in XDS.  People are welcome to look it over, swipe the parts you want, participate in improving it, or just tell me what crappy code it is. It is meant as a service bot for a Linux distribution, so I have made no attempt to make it portable to Windows.

The bot is kind of a jumble - I lost some backups when 2 HDDs died almost simultaneously back in July, so I restarted with a version from January of 2007 and I'm trying to bring it back up to speed  - along the way, making some changes in the way it accomplishes some tasks.

http://gitorious.org/projects/page-six and the  newest version 0.8.12 at is http://gitorious.org/projects/page-six/repos/mainline/trees/page-six-0.8.12