Excelsior Forums
oneelkruns

Calling Modula-2 from C under Linux

I am trying to call a Modula-2 procedure from a C program under Linux (Fedora B).  I have this as the C code:

#include <stdio.h>

void helloworld_hello();  // nm says this is the procedure name

int main() {

helloworld_hello();

return 0;

}

and a simple hello world module:

DEFINITION MODULE helloworld;

PROCEDURE hello;

END helloworld.

and:

IMPLEMENTATION MODULE helloworld;

FROM InOut IMPORT WriteString, WriteLn;

PROCEDURE hello;

BEGIN

WriteString('Hello world');

WriteLn;

END hello;

BEGIN

END helloworld.

First I compile the module:

xc =c helloworld.def

xc =c helloworld.mod

which produces a .o and then:

gcc qqq.c helloworld.o /usr/local/xds/lib/x86/libxds.a -lm -g

which produces a.out.  If I run a.out, I get a seg fault.  gdb shows the backtrace as:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

0x0804f038 in IOChan_TextWrite ()

(gdb) bt

#0  0x0804f038 in IOChan_TextWrite ()

#1  0x0804969e in STextIO_WriteString ()

#2  0x08048fdf in helloworld_hello () at helloworld.mod:7

#3  0x08048fba in main () at qqq.c:6

(gdb)

So, finally, my questions:

1. C seemed happy with building the executable, what then is the problem in IOChan_TextWrite()?

2. Is this even the way to call Modula-2 from C?  (I cannot call C from Modula-2 for my application, it must be from C)

Any help appreciated!

Ron

It is perfectly possible to call Modula-2 from C, but you need to initialize the Modula-2 runtime and the module you are using. Check out the respecitve sample.

It is perfectly possible to call Modula-2 from C, but you need to initialize the Modula-2 runtime and the module you are using. Check out the respecitve sample.

Where might I find this example?  All I see in the XDS documentation is calling C from Modula-2.  Or, do I need to use XDS-C to produce C output instead of object code?

Where might I find this example?  All I see in the XDS documentation is calling C from Modula-2.  Or, do I need to use XDS-C to produce C output instead of object code?

In the samples.txt file in the XDS ReadMe folder it says:

The following samples are available in XDS-C only:

mixed    - mulitlanguage (Modula-2 and C) samples

The following samples are available in XDS-C only

Hhmmm.. The file cmain.c in the native Linux distribution is an example of how to call a Modula-2 function from C after first initializing the RTL and the module (as indicated by Snowman).  There is an error in cmain.c:  Replace "m2test.h" with "ctest.h" on line 7.  After that, it works fine on Ubuntu 9.03.  (Note that there is a comment in cmain.c that you cannot use MSVC.)

Hhmmm.. The file cmain.c in the native Linux distribution is an example of how to call a Modula-2 function from C after first initializing the RTL and the module (as indicated by Snowman).  There is an error in cmain.c:  Replace "m2test.h" with "ctest.h" on line 7.  After that, it works fine on Ubuntu 9.03.  (Note that there is a comment in cmain.c that you cannot use MSVC.)

Just tried this before seeing your post.  It gave me what I needed to get my own example working.  Sweet!  Thanks for the help everyone.

Ron