Excelsior Forums
alexandergeorge

Compilation and Packaging with Maven

Hi there,

I'm looking to integrate Excelsior JET with a project which uses Maven to manage its dependencies and builds.  Is there currently a simple way to do this?  I've tried previously to integrate Excelsior JET with Ant, and was unable to automate the entire process.

Searching the forums I found one post relating to Maven (http://www.excelsior-usa.com/forum/index.php?topic=1705.0), although it did not contain a solution.

Automating the entire build and packaging process is fairly important to me to remove possibility of user error.  Any pointers toward doing this would be well received.

Many thanks,

Alex

Searching the forums I found one post relating to Maven (http://www.excelsior-usa.com/forum/index.php?topic=1705.0), although it did not contain a solution.

But it highlights general possibility to do this. We have command line tools for compiling and packaging that can be used at any automated build whether it is Ant or Maven. There are certain problems regarding relative path: you have to place JET project files in a super directory related to files they refer to force JET using relative paths. We are going to fix this inconvenience in a next JET version, so JET will always try to use relative paths.

What problems have you faced with build automation regarding Excelsior JET?

Hi Kit,

The main issue I've had is that there doesn't seem to be a way to change certain options without using the GUI.  Specifically:

* the package contents

* classpath

* compilation options

* icon

* post-install actions

* version

* start menu location

I'd also like to be able to generate upgrade installers as well.

If this is all possible, please point me towards the documentation!

Cheers,

Alex

Ok, let us divide compiler options and packaging options.

All compiler options can be changed without using the GUI, specifically:

* classpath (via !batch *.jar directive that is highlighted in the topic you have referred)

* compilation options (as general :) )

* icon

* version

For more details on the subject, read JET User's Guide, Chapter "JC reference", Section "Compiler options and equations".

As to packaging options, yes, they cannot be changed without using the GUI except version.

However for Eclipse RCP and Tomcat applications you may define the packaging contents using command line options and we would like to extend this possibility for any type of application in a next JET version.

May I ask you, why do you need to change packaging options such as start menu location and post-install actions at night build? Some real life example would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kit,

Thanks for your advice.

I am making a Windows desktop application.  I intend to package files with it such as help files and JNI DLL files.  My help files are packaged in a directory called help/ and my DLLs are placed in the root of the package.  These files are liable to change as the project develops, and it is the inclusion of these files which I would like to automate, as much as anything else.  Is this currently possible?

Hopefully I will have a chance in the next few days to test compilation from the commandline.

Thanks again,

Alex

sorry for long delay.

yes, if the content of your package changes (so some new files appear or some of them disappear), you should manually reflect the changes in JetPackII GUI. As to "help" directory, I guess you should be able to put it to the executable, so it will not be needed to be updated in JetPackII.

Regarding updates, they also can be created automatically, but also has the same problem as main package, so if the contents changes you should also use the GUI, but the GUI will suggest you to include updated files automatically.