Excelsior Forums
johnrule

File associations

I just noticed in the JetPack II produced installer (6.4) that file associations do not happen (and there is no screen for selecting/deselecting) when the user selects "Personal" for "Installation Type". Is this normal?

Thanks,

JR

I am trying to find information that verifies what you stated...it just doesn't make sense. Do you have anything to back this up? I can't imagine that all 'Personal' installations would be void of file associations. My first question would be: why?

JR

Yes, file associations cannot be installed "personally". It is Windows limitation not ours.

As far as I can tell there is only one place in the registry to impose file associations (Windows XP), and I see no evidence that 'Personal" settings should affect that. I think this should be changed since it is very easy for a user to choose 'Personal' rather than 'Common'...currently, they would have no file associations if they did.

JR

there is only one place in the registry to impose file associations (Windows XP)

Yes, and it is global place. So setting file associations for personal installation would affect all users, that contradicts with the meaning of "personal".

Moreover, if an user has no administrative rights, Windows will not allow installation of  file associations.