Excelsior Forums
Xray

Multi-app executables -> Windows Services

I have an application that can run as a typical desktop application or as service.  Today I have to create 2 executables (1 for the service and 1 for the service).  I understand that in Jet 7.0 I can create a single executable that can run as either.

I tried to follow the directions from the on how to do this but when I went to Jet Pack I could not see that it detected the the mult-app capability of my executable.

Is there a step missing after step 4 below?  Should I merely create another project or make another project and then compile again?  Has anyone had success with this and possibly know of a missing step?

The following was taken from the Jet 7.0 documentation

Windows services

You may build a multi-app executable runnable as both plain application and Windows service. The recommended procedure is as follows:

1. create a new project as Plain Java SE application (see Starting Excelsior JET Control Panel)

2. compile the application with the multi-app executable option enabled

3. convert the type of the project to Windows service by selecting the Project/Convert to... item of the main menu.

4. make the necessary settings for Windows service as described in Chapter Windows services.

Actually, you may first create the Windows service project and then convert it to Plain Java SE application in the same manner.

However

Hi,

JetPackII automatically recognizes multi-app executables and prompts you to make the necessary installation settings. You don't need to create any additional projects.

I tried to follow the directions from the on how to do this but when I went to Jet Pack I could not see that it detected the the mult-app capability of my executable.

Could you please explain the problem in more details? Why do you suppose that JetPackII didn't detect that your application was compiled in multi-app mode?