AlexIljin

XDS 2.6 beta

20 posts in this topic

First of all, thank you for the release! This is a great new year present indeed!

To make the forthcoming final release even better I'll post some of my notes I gathered after installing the beta package and diffing it against the previous version. Everyone else is welcome to share their notes and opinions as well.

1. The def/Win32/edu.txt suddenly appeared! This isn't the limited education version anymore, is it?

2. The following lines were added to the samples/buildx86.bat:

cd VTERM

xc =p golygon.prj

if errorlevel 1 goto error

cd ..

But neither the folder VTERM nor the file golygon.prj were added to the samples folder.

Yes. Nothing to add but my personal thank you! Does beta mean the usual? There will be a release?

Best wishes!

Christoph

I'll second the interest in an OS X version. With that, this would be an excellent write once, compile everywhere tool.

When I compile my projects with XDS 2.6 beta I often see the string "==== r386.SaveCallFRegs: 1" output by the compiler.

I presume this is some debug output, so I just wanted to remind you remove it by the release version.

I'll second the interest in an OS X version. With that, this would be an excellent write once, compile everywhere tool.

XDS-C has always been such a tool. I recall a customer who targeted five platforms with it, including Mac OS 9 and SunOS.

If your development machine is a Mac, configure a small Linux VM and run XDS-C in it.

XDS-C has always been such a tool. I recall a customer who targeted five platforms with it, including Mac OS 9 and SunOS.

I agree with Snowman here. XDS-C can even allow you to develope X-based applications but if you want Cocoa-based applications, you are asking too much for a free release.

Hello XDS team

Thank you sincerely for this release and long life to XDS MODULA/OBERON developpement system !

I use it for creating, under Windows of course (*), some DOS applications using WDOSX DPMI DOS extender.

For my general ledger software and for my very specific developpement system 'EDICALC' (see www.milec.com).

I have made some very preliminary tests and it seems that XDS MODULA 2 can create directly native applications for KOLIBRI OS.

I hope this information could be useful, eventually email me if you want more informations.

Many Thanks again

Best Regards

Michel Leclerc

(*) in fact it is possible to use it directly under real DOS using the HX32 DOS Extender

We have addressed some of the issues mentioned in this thread and reported to us by email and refreshed the beta download.

Would it be much work to update the helpfiles to a newer format? Would be much appreciated...

Win7 doesn't like the old format at all -

Thanks in advance

Christoph

Original:

Уважаемые создатели компилятора Native XDS!

Не могли бы, Вы ответить на четыре вопроса:

• 1) Когда выйдет новая версия XDS?
    2) Будет ли, доработан механизм встраивания процедур (procedure inlining)? А то, судя по
этому обзору, он не всегда работает корректно.
3) Планируется ли, добавление Компонентного Паскаля к списку поддерживаемых языков?
4) Планируется ли, добавление поддержки x64 в качестве целевой платформы для компилятора Native XDS?

Google Translate:

Dear creators of Native XDS compiler!

Can you answer the four questions:

• 1) When come out a new version of XDS?
    2) Will be, improved the procedure inlining mechanism? Because, according to
this review, it does not always work correctly.
3) Do you plan adding Component Pascal to the list of supported languages​​?
4) Do you plan adding support for x64 as the target platform for the Native XDS compiler?

1) When come out a new version of XDS?

No idea, to be honest. Everyone is busy in other projects...

2) Will be, improved the procedure inlining mechanism? Because, according to this review, it does not always work correctly.

Maybe.

3) Do you plan adding Component Pascal to the list of supported languages​​?

No.

4) Do you plan adding support for x64 as the target platform for the Native XDS compiler?

No.

Original:

Уважаемые создатели транслятора XDS-C!

Не могли бы, Вы ответить на вопрос:

Является, ли, сборщик мусора в XDS-C для Windows совместимым с многопоточным программированием?

Google Translate:

Dear creators of XDS-C translator!

Can you answer this question:

Is a garbage collector of XDS-C for Windows compatible with multithreaded programming?

Just a short note as the issue with helpfiles was solved thanks to Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607/en-us

Executables are available for x32 and x64 systems. Needless to say: ;D

Would it be much work to update the helpfiles to a newer format? Would be much appreciated...

Win7 doesn't like the old format at all -

Thanks in advance

Christoph

XDS-C from XDS 2.6 beta doesn't work on Ubuntu 12.04 x32 (Core-i5 CPU).

It returns:

#RTS: Coroutines initialization fault 3...

I tried to rebuild libs, but had the same problems like in Suse 11.

Can you help to fix this problem?