Excelsior Forums
Blake

Windows 8 support?

With Windows 8 coming out this fall, I'm curious whether applications generated by Excelsior Jet are likely to be compatible or if it will need to be updated for Windows 8. I'm not too concerned about whether Excelsior Jet will run on Windows 8 since we will likely continue to use Windows 7 for our development machines for a long time. But we're likely to have some customers that upgrade to Windows 8 as soon as it's released and I'm just wondering if that will be a problem for an Excelsior Jet generated application. If it will be a problem, when do you anticipate having support for Windows 8?

With Windows 8 coming out this fall, I'm curious whether applications generated by Excelsior Jet are likely to be compatible or if it will need to be updated for Windows 8. I'm not too concerned about whether Excelsior Jet will run on Windows 8 since we will likely continue to use Windows 7 for our development machines for a long time. But we're likely to have some customers that upgrade to Windows 8 as soon as it's released and I'm just wondering if that will be a problem for an Excelsior Jet generated application. If it will be a problem, when do you anticipate having support for Windows 8?

I think that Excelsior Jet is likely to be compatible: we have performed very light testing on Windows 8 preview that have not revealed any problems.

We do more testing before its official release and if there are some problems we will fix them and issue an update.

Please also note that, AFAIK, Oracle Java SE 6 will not support Windows 8 officially, and as we license this technology from Oracle we cannot officially support it as well until we support Java SE 7.

I think that Excelsior Jet is likely to be compatible: we have performed very light testing on Windows 8 preview that have not revealed any problems.

We do more testing before its official release and if there are some problems we will fix them and issue an update.

Please also note that, AFAIK, Oracle Java SE 6 will not support Windows 8 officially, and as we license this technology from Oracle we cannot officially support it as well until we support Java SE 7.

My stuff seems to run ok, but not 100%...you have to test everything to make a determination yourself.

I hope you are working on the OSX version of JET before you worry about Windows 8!