Excelsior Forums
Whitetiger

ProGuard with Excelsior JET

Hey.

I recently downloaded Excelsior JET, and im having some problems with ProGuard. Wheenver i process a proguarded .jar to Excelsior JET I get:

* Inconsistent compilation set detected when processing the following classes:

and then a list of all my classes in the .JAR. I assumed this means that ProGuard is not compatible with Excelsior JET. (I tested compiling without proguard and it worked) I did a bit of googling and found a couple of pages:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/articles/java-obfuscators.html

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetprotection.html

So basicly, my question is would ProGuard even benefit with Excelsior JET? at the very least in file size? would it provide any additional protection or is the Excelsior JET compilation enough? would another Obfuscator work? if ProGuard is compatible with Excelsior JET, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers.

Hi,

I suggest you to manually remove all *_jetpdb directories and rebuild the application.

Also, if you divide your application into several components (DLLs and EXE), then check how classes are divided into components (there should be no duplications).

So basicly, my question is would ProGuard even benefit with Excelsior JET? at the very least in file size? would it provide any additional protection or is the Excelsior JET compilation enough?

Name obfuscation can be used to reduce size of the application and better hide class/method names. Control flow/data flow obfuscation is not recommended as it may have impact on performance and it is almost useless if application is compiled with Excelsior JET.

would another Obfuscator work?

It depends on the obfuscator.

if ProGuard is compatible with Excelsior JET, what am I doing wrong?

I can confirm that ProGuard is compatible with Excelsior JET.

Regards,

-AlexM