Excelsior Forums
mapguru

Some general questions of a newbe...

Hi All,

I got my first .exe created and except for the icon not on the desktop as expected I have a few questions...

1. Can I get an exe without the jvm added?

2. In relation to #1 can I get the install to work if jre 1.6 installed already?

3. If jre not installed can I get the install to reach out to Oracle or my web site to get the jre install run it then continue?

4. What about code signing? How is that done? Right now I sign my jars as required by most app stores.

5. I had an issue with proguard created jars. Seems it fails with missing imports but works fine without jars obfuscated by proguard. Ant thoughts?

6. During packaging do I need to manually select my main jar and jar library folders? Seems at beginning i needed that already although I could be wrong.

Finally has anyone gotten a Jet created exe to pass microsoft app store certication tests?

Thanks it is a great product!

-Tony Anecito

Founder/President

MyUniPortal LLC

Free 3D Map & Video software SAAS for kids and parents for monitoring Disasters.

1. Can I get an exe without the jvm added?

No, Java code cannot work without a managed runtime. It is added as a set of DLLs or linked into the executable (if you use the Global Optimizer).

2. In relation to #1 can I get the install to work if jre 1.6 installed already?

3. If jre not installed can I get the install to reach out to Oracle or my web site to get the jre install run it then continue?

If you have compiled your application with Excelsior JET and do not intend to distribute class/jar file, you cannot use Oracle JRE (as it does not work with JET-compiled executables). If you are trying to reduce package size,

check the Java Runtime Slim-Down deployment model.

4. What about code signing? How is that done? Right now I sign my jars as required by most app stores.

You can sign the executables as described in this Knowledge Base article

5. I had an issue with proguard created jars. Seems it fails with missing imports but works fine without jars obfuscated by proguard. Ant thoughts?

This is because ProGuard (and other obfuscators) cannot cope with dynamic features of Java (Reflection, dynamic loading) - you should manually configure them to select the classes whose names may not be obfuscated.

6. During packaging do I need to manually select my main jar and jar library folders? Seems at beginning i needed that already although I could be wrong.

It's required only once when creating project for compilation. Packaging works with the created executable and retrieves all those settings automatically as shown in this video tutorial.

Finally has anyone gotten a Jet created exe to pass microsoft app store certication tests?

We do not have such information.