Excelsior Forums
io

Why does the JET GUI disappear?

Whenever I minimize JET or JET Pack in the task bar their GUIs are either transparent or blank when I bring them back up. I connot exit the application, however, I can launch JET again. I can keep doing this over and over until my task bar is filled with JET icons. They do not go away until I restart. Very messy indeed.

Probably it is some peculiarity of your system, we've never hear about such problems before. What system do you use? (CPU, memory, OS, JDK) Have you ever seen the same effect on other Java GUI applications?

OK. I've narrowed this down. This behavior only occurs when I have JET opened at the same time the actual application .exe I have compiled with JET is open. The JET applications works fine as long as my .exe is not opened. My .exe works fine on its own too. But both applications open at the same time causes JET to loose its GUI. I have to use the task manager to quit JET or restart.

On the other hand, it depends on the nature of your application. For instance, if it runs high priority threads, it is not surprisingly that a few time slices are available to JET GUI.

We've just experimented with several applications (e.g. Java2Demo from JDK samples, etc.). All of them (run from within JET GUI) expose no problems with collapsing/expanding the GUI frame.

Regards,

Excelsior Support

I've been experimenting too. It turns out if I open ANY java application, such a Borland's JBuilder, at the same time as JET I get this behavior, or worse, JBuilder just dies and JET looses its GUI.

Perhaps the applications or competing for resources but I think, in general, JAVA is just not working right on this machine.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose a troubled JVM? Is there a web site, a diagnostic tool?

Thanks

I have just been told by another programmer that it's impossible to run more than one Swing app at a time on a single jvm. In other words, for each GUI I have open I have to have a separate jvm. This does not sound right to me. If it's true it must be a Windows thing because I am not having this problem on MacOSX and I only have one jvm.

Has anyone heard of this?

Unlike the MacOS, on Windows, HotSpot JVMs are not shared between Java applications. In other words, any 2 applications (even non-Swing ones) work under the separate JVMs.

But, for the JET-compiled applications, JET Runtime is shared, so there is only one JET VM for several JET-compiled applications. One may test it by running 2 JET-compiled applications (for example, 2 instances of the JET Control Panel) and check the memory usage of the 2nd one.

As for your problem, I'd recommend to check your hardware (especially RAM) and re-install OS, JDK, JET and other programs.