Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scov

Interchangeable binary in respect to runtime

Hello,

I am wondering about the following scenario: an executable is obtained using Excelsior 7 (version chosen quite randomly). A minimal (runnable) package would then contain the Runtime along with the exe.

Assuming that an Excelsior 8 (chosen pseudo-randomly: ver. # intentionally higher) runtime directory would overwrite the Excelsior 7 one in the target folder, and that both runtimes have been defined the same in Jet Control Panel (e.g. TYPICAL, SMART, or CUSTOM w/ exactly the same settings)...would the binary compiled with the older one still be runnable?

In other words, I am wondering about the backwards compatibility of runtimes with files that have been optimized using older versions.

What about the other way around, older runtimes supporting binaries compiled using newer optimizers? Same restrictions apply as above, and, more than that, I am assuming that both profiles would be compatible (e.g. not attempting to run code that uses Java 8 features on a Java 7 VM). For example, running an equivalent of Java 6 update 7 should be enough to support files that have been compiled under Java 6 update 43 (IOW micro-updates).

Hello,

I am wondering about the following scenario: an executable is obtained using Excelsior 7 (version chosen quite randomly). A minimal (runnable) package would then contain the Runtime along with the exe.

Assuming that an Excelsior 8 (chosen pseudo-randomly: ver. # intentionally higher) runtime directory would overwrite the Excelsior 7 one in the target folder, and that both runtimes have been defined the same in Jet Control Panel (e.g. TYPICAL, SMART, or CUSTOM w/ exactly the same settings)...would the binary compiled with the older one still be runnable?

In other words, I am wondering about the backwards compatibility of runtimes with files that have been optimized using older versions.

What about the other way around, older runtimes supporting binaries compiled using newer optimizers? Same restrictions apply as above, and, more than that, I am assuming that both profiles would be compatible (e.g. not attempting to run code that uses Java 8 features on a Java 7 VM). For example, running an equivalent of Java 6 update 7 should be enough to support files that have been compiled under Java 6 update 43 (IOW micro-updates).

Hello,

Executable compiled with one version of Excelsior JET is not compatible with the runtime of another version of Excelsior JET by design.

However, you can create update package for your users using JetPackII which updates both your application and runtime.

You can read about that here:

Excelsior JET User’s Guide, chapter Deployment automation, Updating JET Runtime