Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MMalhado

Change maximum heap at runtime

I'm running a Excelsior JET 32bit 8.0 built Tomcat 7 application on a Windows server 2008 R2

My application has been built with the option -Djet.gc.heaplimit:1500m, but in this particular installation this doesn't seem to be enough and I would like to change this setting to 0 ('Adaptive') at runtime.

From the documentation, my understanding is that a way to do this would be to use the command:

SET JETVMPROP=-Djet.gc.heaplimit=0

followed by my application executable command.

The problem I'm having trouble is understanding if this change is actually having effect.

When I try to use extreme values like 50m or 5000m I see no difference in the application's memory footprint, nor does it refuses to launch, like I can observe when running the regular 32bit Tomcat 7 with a too height value for --JvmMx (like 2000m).

As an additional question, what would roughly be the expected maximum heap size in this system, if I set the heap limit to 'Adaptive'

>>As an additional question, what would roughly be the expected maximum heap size in this system, if I set the heap limit to 'Adaptive'

4GB for 32-bit Excelsior JET, (a factor of) the installed physical memory for 64-bit Excelsior JET.

>>When I try to use extreme values like 50m or 5000m I see no difference in the application's memory footprint,

If you set maximum heap explicitly, Excelsior JET should not use more than you set for Java objects (but can use less of course).