Excelsior Forums
bensinc

Problems Running Compiled Program

I'm evaluating JET, but can't seem to get my compiled application to run. When I start it, I get the following messages, which end with a NullPointerException. Of course, there are no references to where the null pointer is.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to debug this?

JET-compiled Java program has started.

-------------------------------------

UIDefaults.getUI() failed: no ComponentUI class for: javax.swing.JMenu[,0,0,0x0,

invalid,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,border=,flags=0,maximumSize=,minimumSize

=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=null,pa

intBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon

=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=File]

java.lang.Error

... continues many times ...

UIDefaults.getUI() failed: no ComponentUI class for: javax.swing.JButton[,0,0,0x

0,invalid,layout=javax.swing.OverlayLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,borde

r=,flags=0,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,d

isabledSelectedIcon=,margin=null,paintBorder=true,paintFocus=true,pressedIcon=,r

olloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=,def

aultCapable=true]

java.lang.Error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

The problem is that some required classes were not included into the compilation set, because Swing loads UI classes dynamically.

If you use the graphical front-end to JET, please, force all classes found in CLASSPATH into compilation set (on the "Classes" page those classes should be painted violet).

Bad, bad Jet. Without including the whole JET runtime, the application doesn't start. Including 3 of them the program runs but two mouse classes doesn't work. And including whole JET runtime increases the installation by almost 30 MB.

Is there a money back guarantee? I think I'm going back to jar with all disadvantages.

>> Without including the whole JET runtime,

>> the application doesn't start

>>And including whole JET runtime increases the

>>installation by almost 30 MB.

Both problems are removed in Excelsior JET 4.0 that will be released very very soon.   B)

(Probably, when you are reading this message, it is already out.)

1. JET 4.0 safely includes all required components in the installation package.

2. The size of the installation for a full-featured Swing app starts from 12MB (J2SE 1.4.2) and 16MB (J2SE 5.0)

In "bad, bad" JET 3.7, the size used to be 40-50MB. What a shame!

;)

Is this your case?