Excelsior Forums
Geoff

Installation and configuration issues

During install, I get a warning message that Jet "will now compile Java 2 platform class files, and that it will take from 30 minutes to 1 hour".

I cancelled because I want to know exactly what it does (I don't want it to tamper with my carefully tuned j2sdk1.4.0, on which I have many programs running). So if you could clarify, please...  :)

Next question : what happens with the extensions ?(such as Java 3D which is not supported I presume, but I also have a bundle of XML parsers, JavaMail 1.3, and JNDI updates) What does the installer do about these ? Any comments most welcome   ;)

The JET installer does not alter your JDK directory and/or registry entires in any way. You can safely assume that JDK files are accessed in read-only mode by JET. All the generated DLLs are placed into the JET directory.

As for Java extensions like COMM API, JavaMail, JavaHelp, Java3D, JAI, etc., they are not precompiled during install, but they are fully supported. Check out http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jettested.html, section "Java Optional Packages".

Many thanks.

I had begun to look at the "Optional java Packages" supported in the meantime.

Ok, so now I will resume my install with complete peace of mind  :)

One thing though, perhaps you should state the Specs versions supported on the "Optional Java Packages" page.

As for Java extensions like COMM API, JavaMail, JavaHelp, Java3D, JAI, etc., they are not precompiled during install, but they are fully supported. Check out http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jettested.html, section "Java Optional Packages".

Am I correct in understanding that JET will still work with APIs not in that list (such as OpenCard)?

Am I correct in understanding that JET will still work with APIs not in that list (such as OpenCard)?

Yes, you can use any third-party class library or API. For APIs on that page, there are project files and samples available for download. For other APIs, you would just have to figure out the necessary settings yourself or with the help of the JET graphical front-end.