Excelsior Forums
littlefish

How to upgrade to 311

If you have an active Maintenance Contract or if you purchased v3.0 30 days or less before the v3.11 release date (April 28th, 2003), you should receive the upgrade for free. If you did not receive it, email our Sales Dept.

Otherwise, you need to purchase an upgrade through our Web store.

I've just checked this - the best part of $200 for a point release! That's seriously outrageous. I suppose I'll have to live with the bugs in 3.0pro, which already cost me a fortune.

You won't be seeing my money.

Not happy.

Cas :(

Hi,

I totally agree with princec. It is not reasonable to pay more money for the bug fixed release of a product.

Regards,

Raymond

First and foremost, 3.11 is not a minor version update. The previous public release was 3.0, 3.1 Evaluation was set to appear on the Sun Solutions CD this June, but we then made a few fixes so chnaged version to 3.11. Neither it is a pure bug fixing release. It adds a new powerful feature (JIT cache optimization) to the Pro Edition, and all-new application deployment tools (JetPackII and Excelsior Installer) to both retail Editions.

If you are a v3.0 user and do not need these new features, just skip this upgrade. And if there are bugs in v3.0 that prevent your succesful use of the product, you do not have to pay the (full) upgrade price to have them fixed. See below for details, but let me make some general notice first.

We constantly update and enhance out test suite and we have code coverage in place, but if you do not inform us of the particular problem in our product that you have experienced, it may never get fixed.

THEREFORE: Should you encounter a defect in our product that you would like to have eliminated, report it to us ASAP. We accept defect report from all users, including those who downloaded the free Personal Edition or the Evaluation Package, because it improves the quality of our product. The only difference your support level makes in that regard is the priority assigned to the bug or misfeature you reported. (Companies that pay $1,5K per year for Premium Support expect that we shall solve their problems at maximum possible speed, putting aside the issues reported by Personal Edition users. I hope you would agree that this is fair enough.)

Now, suppose you have reported a problem in an older version and our engineers have found that it is not present in the current version. What we would do then is we would estimate the effort required to fix that problem in the old version, and if it appears to be more than just changing a few lines of code, we would offer you a substantial discount on the upgrade.

Finally, it is in our best interest that the maximum number of users upgrades to the current version, because it reduces the load on our technical support. That is why we keep Maintenance Contracts so cheap in comparison with a single upgrade price. You can get 1 year of free upgrades at $150 ($50 for the Standard Edition) if you purchase a Maintenance Contract together with the product or renew it in time, whereas a major version upgrade (e.g. 2.x to 3.x) is currently priced at $375 ($100).

I think this is an important issue, so I shall make this topic sticky for some time (it will appear at the top of the forum). If you have more questions on our upgrade policy, post them here or email to sales@excelsior.usa.com.

I think there's some confusion in your pricing structure that needs to be ironed out on your main site. At $150, the 1-year of upgrades offer is vastly cheaper than the alternative which is to buy upgrades individually; I think you should get these homogenised and clarified right away.

Cas :)

I purchase 3.0 nearly 60 days. I still cannot find Excelsior posting any bug fixes for this 3.0 version.

Is this 3.0 version a bug free release?

I expects Excelsior to list out all found bugs so that we as the purchaser knows what bugs exist and trying to avoid those bugs or seriously consider whether it is worth to pay extra for upgrade or just give up using JET complete.

I don't want to use JET to create a product and deliver to my customer with all the JET bugs which will upset my customers.