Excelsior Forums
aaime

Timeframe for 1.4.2_01 support and Linux questions

1.4.2_01 is out. What's the timeframe for a JET release that

will support it?

Second question is, what will be the pricing policy for Linux (I mean, for people wanting both Windows and Linux binaries, so, both compilers). Will it be a cross-compiler?

1. We currently plan to release a Maintenance Pack with a few bug fixes and support for 1.4.2_01 and 1.3.1_09 next week.

2. The Linux version will not be a cross-compiler, i.e. it will itself run on Linux. We have not made a final decision on its pricing yet, but there will surely be a big discount offered to those who already have the Windows version or buy both versions at once.

1. We currently plan to release a Maintenance Pack with a few bug fixes and support for 1.4.2_01 and 1.3.1_09 next week.

Nice :-)

2. The Linux version will not be a cross-compiler, i.e. it will itself run on Linux. We have not made a final decision on its pricing yet, but there will surely be a big discount offered to those who already have the Windows version or buy both versions at once.

Too bad. This means that one needs to setup a developer

environment both on windows and on linux...

I'm planning to buy both linux and windows version, but

I still have not understood how to make the best buy (that

is, if I wait for the linux version will I get better discounts? ;-)

Too bad. This means that one needs to setup a developer

environment both on windows and on linux...

Strictly speaking, on one of the systems you will need to setup only a build/test environment. Also, we think those who only have Linux on development systems will anticipate the ability to run the compiler natively under Linux.

Technically, it is fairly easy to support cross-compilation, so if there will be enough demand, we may implement it in a future release.

I'm planning to buy both linux and windows version, but

I still have not understood how to make the best buy (that

is, if I wait for the linux version will I get better discounts? ;-)

We shall try to make sure that owners of the current Windows version get the same discount on the Linux version as those who buy the two versions together for the first time. We may also offer existing customers a better discount for a limited time.

The other point to consider is that there is no fixed Linux version release date yet. So if you need to use the Windows version in your production environment soon, buy it without waiting for the Linux version to become available for purchase.

Strictly speaking, on one of the systems you will need to setup only a build/test environment. Also, we think those who only have Linux on development systems will anticipate the ability to run the compiler natively under Linux.

Technically, it is fairly easy to support cross-compilation, so if there will be enough demand, we may implement it in a future release.

Of course the environment should run also on Linux. What I really wanted is to have the dev environment on a Linux box, prepare from here an installation package for Windows, go on the windows machine (or launch VMWare) ,install and test without having to setup the build environment also there.

BTW, is it possible for compiled Excelsior with J2SE 1.4.2_01 work with J2SE 1.4.2 ?

I mean, is there any way to one Excelsior version that is using a JVM version be able to support aothers JVMs? Is teher a logical order or one Excelsior version is only attached to the specific JVm that it's using?

Well, the week is over but I see no upgrade around ;-)

(ok, ok, I know that trying to make forecast for software

deadlines is just like trying to do weather forecasting...)

Andrea

Well, the week is over but I see no upgrade around ;-)

(ok, ok, I know that trying to make forecast for software

deadlines is just like trying to do weather forecasting...)

Andrea

It would have been out if Sun did not release 1.4.1_05.

BTW, is it possible for compiled Excelsior with J2SE 1.4.2_01 work with J2SE 1.4.2 ?

I mean, is there any way to one Excelsior version that is using a JVM version be able to support aothers JVMs?

As you know, JET precompiles Java 2 platform classes from a particular JRE (micro)version. So doing what you ask about would be equivalent to taking rt.jar from 1.4.2_01 and copying it to 1.4.2 in the hope that everyhing will work.

Even if the public API does not change between microversions A and B, there are likely to be changes in JRE internals, most importanly in the native methods.

Is there a modified time frame for the next update? I'm guessing that it will contain the micro-update for the 1.3.1_09, 1.4.1_05, and 1.4.2_01 editions.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Is there a modified time frame for the next update? I'm guessing that it will contain the micro-update for the 1.3.1_09, 1.4.1_05, and 1.4.2_01 editions.

The update is available for immediate download

As it is now, I develop in GNU/Linux, but compile with Jet in windows,

and test under windows.  So I also think that a crosscompiler option,

where I could compile everything in GNU/Linux would be interesting.

That way, I'd only have to switch platform to test, and I could probably

automate the generation of win32 executables, and later if customers

choose to switch to GNU/Linux, it wouldn't be hard to generate both

type of executables.

Keep up the good work!

MrMis .