Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iwod

Fail to Understand Jet.

After so many months i still have proble understand The difference version of Jet.

Professional , Standard and Personal.

As Far as i can tell Standard And Personal Can not Compile Java in to Native Code.

But isn't the sole purpose of Jet is Native Compiler. Compiling Java into Native Code?

So what is the use for Personal And Standard Version?

The Excelsior JET Feature Matrix tells you which has what but i don't think it does a good job or what edition is targeting which group of people and what are they good for.

a Side Questions. Including SWT would allow you to have a GUI app without the need of JRE. But since SWT is written in Java and calling to Native Windows funtions. Could JET compile the required SWT code that i had in my program? Instead of Me bundling the whole SWT?

Thank you.

P.S What are the limitation of Trial version apart from 60 days?  

Have you read JET Feature Matrix carefully?

As Far as i can tell Standard And Personal Can not Compile Java in to Native Code

No, your understanding is incorrect. All editions compile java into native code. Standard and Personal main limitations are

1) absence of JIT compiler - if your app tries to dynamically load the calss that was not precompiled, it would fail.

2) some powerful optimizations are turned off

Personal edition also can be used only for speeding up applications on your pc only. You can't use compiled applications on other machines.

What are the limitation of Trial version apart from 60 days?

No limitations, only the banner. But, after 60 days all compiled apps will expire as well as jet.

>As Far as i can tell Standard And Personal Can not Compile Java in to Native Code.

All JET edtions DO compile Java into native code.

You need to bundle Sun JRE with your deployment package for Standtard edition, however JET uses only native methods DLLs from there.

>So what is the use for Personal And Standard Version?

The use of Personal is performance benefits from native compiling Java apps that you use every day.

The use of Stndard is performance, protection, easy-of-deployment of the Java apps that you develop.

>The Excelsior JET Feature Matrix tells you which has what but i don't think it does a good job or what edition

>is targeting which group of people and what are they good for.

Ok, we will take it into account, thank you

>Including SWT would allow you to have a GUI app without the need of JRE. But since SWT is written in

>Java and calling to Native Windows funtions. Could JET compile the required SWT code that i had in my

>program?

Of course!

I did read it carefully... and what you said was what i first thought,  but then it said

Creates JRE-independent executables (for applications not using AWT or Swing)

Which is only avalible in Professional Edition......

And that confuse me..

Or do you mean........

All version will compile Java into native compile and then all this will act as a DLL which makes Java App loads faster. But if i want the Java App to link everything in one .exe i will need professional edition?

All version will compile Java into native compile and then all this will act as a DLL which makes Java App loads faster. But if i want the Java App to link everything in one .exe i will need professional edition

Near the truth  ;). More precisely, apps compiled by Standard Edition will always require JRE existence for work (JRE contains not only Java code, but also implementations of native methods used by that code). Professional Edition allows to make apps independent of JRE (for some kind of apps, e.g. application shall not use AWT/Swing).

Sign in to follow this