Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
axel

Performance Problems

I downloaded the Excelsior JET 3.6 Evaluation Package for windows yesterdays and compiled our application, but the native code seems to be slower than the bytecode.

We use a lot of dynamic loaded classes, so i foreced to compile all the libs and the exe-file is now 60 MBs large. Could this be a reason for the performance problems?

I don't think that executable size can be a reason for the performance problems. However It indicates that your application is rather big, so it should be hard to claim that it is slower then bytecode until you test all the pieces of your application. So my question is in which part of your application you did not satisfy with the performance? Startup, responce time, in some important scenarious? What type of application you have: Swing, batch processing, server-side? Did you enable JIT for your JET-compiled application (if so did you enable caching?)? Do you see any difference in performance of first and second run of JET-compiled application?

First, thank you for the answer, it is a swing application. The problems occure when loading blobs form an oracle database.

I enabled JIT with caching, the second run is faster than the first one, but just half as fast as the binary-code run.

You'd better to get formal support with this issue. Since enabling caching JIT helps for your project, I suspect that a lot of JITing occurs for your application. JIT is rather slow in JET (we are working on this issue now). I see 2 ways that can help to improve performance for this situation. First, look for classes that was JITed and try to include them to the project. If it does not help, try to optimize JIT cache with AOT compiler. To know, how to do this consult User's Guide -- "Mixed Compilation Model/JIT cache Optimization".

Sign in to follow this