Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fraXis

Excelsior Jet - Blue screen of death?

Hello,

I am a registered user of Excelsior Jet v3.60 and I am using Maint Pack 3 with it and Java 1.4.2_06.

Anyways, it has been working great for the past couple of weeks.

I just updated my ATI drivers (using ATI 800xt agp card) to Catalyst v5.1 from ATI.

Now when I go into Excelsior Jet, all I can see is the regular blue background.  There are no buttons or anything anymore.  If I go into JetPackII I get the same problem, just the regular Excelsior background color.

The only thing that has changed on my system is the graphic card driver.

Could the latest ATI graphic driver be causing this problem?  The program is not frozen, I can hit the 'X' on the title bar to close it, but the interface does not come up at all.

Please help.

Thanks,

Shawn

I just answered my own question.  While trying to load Excelsior Jet again, my XP SP2 machine had it's own blue screen of death.

The fault driver was ATIDUAG.DLL (ATI driver).  It was a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.  The stop error was 0x00000050.

I will send this to ATI as well to fix but I think Excelsior might be doing some non standard gfx calls to cause this bsod.  I have not even had a bsod of death from a video game in over a year, yet alone an application.

I just answered my own question.  While trying to load Excelsior Jet again, my XP SP2 machine had it's own blue screen of death.

The fault driver was ATIDUAG.DLL (ATI driver).  It was a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.  The stop error was 0x00000050.

I will send this to ATI as well to fix but I think Excelsior might be doing some non standard gfx calls to cause this bsod.  I have not even had a bsod of death from a video game in over a year, yet alone an application.

Excelsior JET Control Panel and JetPackII are written in Java (all custom Swing UI), so they rely on the Sun JRE for doing actual graphics output. We had a few reports like this concerning our users' applications, and it all cases it turned out that their apps fail on the same version of Sun JRE in the same way.

See e.g. bug 4713003 in the Java Bug Parade:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4713003

In case you do not have a login to the Sun site above, the possible workarounds are:

a) Use system property -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true. I am not sure how to force it with JET Control Panel, though (I am not an engineer), but try this:

1. Open the command prompt, go to the bin\ directory of your JET installation. and run jc.exe. It should say somethinig like:

E:\JET\bin> jc.exe
Excelsior JET v3.60 Professional Edition (c) Excelsior 1997,2004
Active JRE Version 1.4.2_06 (profile=XX)
  .  .  .

Notice the value of XX - I am not sure what it should be for 1.4.2_06.

2. Run the command:

SET JETVMPROP=-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

3. Run launchpad360XX.exe, where XX is the number you noticed on Step 1.

If you try this option (a) please post your results here.

B) Reduce "Hardware acceleration" under "Troubleshooting" in "Display" in the Win2k settings.

c) Run dxdiag.exe (DirectX diagnostics tool), click on the Display tab and then disable 'DirectDraw Acceleration' and 'Direct3D Acceleration'.

I also guess updating DirertX might help.

Finally please do send your defect reports directly to the JET team at java@excelsior-usa.com for fastest response. As the disclaimer below says, we do not closely monitor these forums, and we do not want our registered users to be disappointed by the quality of our support.

Sign in to follow this