Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BLA

Oberon-2 & Modula-2 library source

Thanks (forTheseGreatProducts);

(* I hope this transition into freeware isn't sign of the END; *)

StonyBrookModula2.BuyedUp;

StonyBrookModula2.Disappeared;

(* Now only one professional O2&M2 compiler remained alive: XDS. *)

XDS.ProductLineReleasedAsFreeware;

answer := XDS.CanRelease (itsLibrarySource);

(* I hope answer=TRUE, because than O2&M2 enthusiasts can create a consensus a common platform for their further development works. *)

I think it's vital for XDS to make full sources sort of GPL. I've seen some messages on this forum which gave me thought that XDS developers are suffering of financial problems. I would love to donate if they open the way to do that, as Sourceforge folks or others do.

Best regards.

I agree with that. I'd absolutely be open to donating towards the Modula-2 and Oberon-2 products, especially (but not only) if they were GPLd

It would be nice if there was a way that users financially contribute to improvements of the now free Native XDS-x86, without setting conditions, but giving suggestions with regards to the improvements.

Maybe Excelsior can announce an estimate for some improvement, and users can respond with donations.

What do you say?

What you guys can surely do for free and right now is leaving your proposals here! :D (Indications if these are bugs (and according to what reasons) or just wishes are welcome, as well as discussions).

In some time we'll look through the list and make our estimations what can be done and with what efforts.

Then we can discuss the budget and if the sponsorship will be sufficient - well, why not?  :rolleyes:

Another point why it's worth to go GPL is the fact that developers can donate not only the money but source code as well.

We all know how it is difficult to prepare right conditions to reproduce some problems. The open source code with versions control let us make a fix and introduce it to merge in a very short time. It?s obviously boosts the productivity and reduce the bugs fix time.

Also, some of us own a code which we may decide to share with project. That may add a new value and attract some other people to use XDS in their developments.

Please excuse me if I?m saying well known things.

What do you think is any probability that XDS will go GPL in near future?

Best regards.

> That may add a new value and attract some other people to use XDS in their developments.  

That's worth believing, but seems dobtful. Do we speak of units and dozens or about hundreds ands thousands of people? What is that part of the community that we hope to attract on our side? Modula-2 adherents that are using XDS already or still do not wish to use it? Or someone from C++/C#/Java world? :)

> What do you think is any probability that XDS will go GPL in near future?

It is more than possible, it is planned yet for this year. No promises and obligations so far, however.

> Do we speak of units and dozens or about hundreds ands thousands of people?

I have no idea how many may interested in your project in future. I see a dozen here on your forum. More likely you may attract more if GPL, less if it's not.

>What is that part of the community that we hope to attract on our side?

If you mean software developers community you may attract anyone who can find something useful in your staff.

> Modula-2 adherents that are using XDS already or still do not wish to use it? Or someone from C++/C#/Java world? :)

I don?t know who may interested in XDS modula/oberon. Could be anyone who can find you on internet and decide to check your code.

Please excuse me for my other questions not related to XDS but to your answers.

Why you are laughing? Is it because you see no future to your project when some one else do their job with C++/C#/Java but not XDS? I believe you may have some future. As soon as some one wish to donate a money to your project it's not too bad. BTW, it's all up to you what to do next. You can give it away or bury under the ground. It's all your decisions. I was just willing to help you with hope you can help me.

Wish you all the best.

> BTW, it's all up to you what to do next. You can give it away or bury under the ground.

We have already given XDS away under a freeware license. We may open source it, but please do not expect that to happen in the short term. It would require more work than you problably think. For instance, we have a few customers using custom versions, including native Modula-2 compilers for CPUs other than x86, so we have to ask each of them for permission. If a customer refuses, we would have to remove all the respective customizations from the source.

For instance, we have a few customers using custom versions

Excuse me for butting in here.

Do I understand right that you have 'Custom release 2.51a' for customer A and 'Custom release 2.51b' for customer B and the 'Generic release 2.51' for the rest of us?

Or did each customer pay you for customization and implicitely approved distribution to all users of that?

What do you say, Snowman?

Do I understand right that you have 'Custom release 2.51a' for customer A and 'Custom release 2.51b' for customer B and the 'Generic release 2.51' for the rest of us?

Or did each customer pay you for customization and implicitely approved distribution to all users of that?

Yes and no. Yes, each of those customers has paid us for customization. See e.g. this press-release to get an idea of what I meant by "customization". And no, they did not implicitely approve distribution to anyone.

Most of custom code is under conditional compilation, so it does not get into the generally available binaries.