Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Demetrio

SCSL License in Jet 3.8???

Hello!

It's happen to me to read in this forum that the next version of JET will support full (JRE-less) compilation througth SCSL license.

As far as I undestand there is no technical limits to do so and with a new Sun license you can finally do it.

Could you provide more information please - something like planned timeline for the next version (if any).

Kind Regards,

Demetrio

It will not be JRE-less in its current meaning :-( The deployment package will not contain Sun's JRE, but instead it will contain so-called Excelsior JRE in some form (e.g. full set of JET RT DLLs).

So, unfortunately, the deployment size will not be decreased (at least for small and moderate-size applications).

We have no strong timeline yet, but JET 4.0 release is definetely far enough. Probably about the end of the autumn.

Not bad at all.

Should I understand it as:

You'll compile Sun jre into some RT dlls (i.e provide the 'compiled' jre as a set of dlls).

Of course I's like to see future optimizations to "shrink" those DLLs or link them statically into the exe, but half a year is a short time constrain IMO.

Again many customers will be happy to have 20Mb of DLLs instead of one rt file (coz everyone knows that java is slow :-[).

Seriously, with Mustang + your compiler Java has a bright future!

Good work!

Should I understand it as:

You'll compile Sun jre into some RT dlls (i.e provide the 'compiled' jre as a set of dlls).

Yes. We also have some ideas on how to shrink it, but that is going to wait until 4.1 or some later version. Right now, our focus in on compatibility, because we need to pass the JCK in order to qualify for the Java Technology license. It will be a commercial license based on SCSL.

Sign in to follow this