Excelsior Forums
Bluewolf

3rd Party Packages

Hi,

What is the recommended way of dealing with 3rd Party Packages that install them selves in lib/ext and bin of the JRE?

I don't seem to be able to get JET to notice the jars when compiling.

Thanks

Generally, the jars of these libraries shall be added into teh compilation set. Note that the JET Control Panel adds the whole contents of lib/ext into the compilation set on creation of the new project. If the packages contain DLLs, than either the PATH environment variable should be set accordingly, or these DLLs should be copied into the 'current' directory. If the packages contain property files or other resources, these resources should be included into CLASSPATH (or placed into the current folder, or zipped into jar and bound to the executable).

Also please note, that if the libraries override standard Java API (not your case, as the jars should reside in jre\lib\endorsed), than the new profile using those endoresed jars shall be created in JetSetup.

Ah ok,

So basicly I would compile the jars my self, and produce Dll's from them, and these would be distributed with my application. So these jars can be removed from the JRE that gets distrubted?

One other thing that I've just thought of. Is it possible to package the jni dlls that come with the jars into the Dll produced by jet (Like what can be done with resources)?

Thanks.

Of course you may compile them into DLL, but it is more easy to compile these jars and your program into the single executable. It makes sense to use EXE+DLL model if there are several executables using the large common part.

The precopiled jars of course can be removed from JRE. Actually, from the whole JRE only some native DLLs are used, the rest (rt.jar etc.) is distributed only because of the licensing issues. As all extensions are not obligatory part of the JRE, they (jars) may be removed.

Currently there is no way to bind native DLLs into the executable. I recommend placing them into the package near the executable - in this case no PATH modifications are required.