Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geffde

Reducing Application installation size

I am working at a university and for part of my research have had reason to write a SWING application.  However, I need to have this application run on machines that do not have JREs, so I turned to Excelsior JET.  It works wonderfully and does everything that it is supposed to do.  The raw size of my compiled .exe file after it comes out of the compiler is .5 MB.  After running JetPack to make an installer, the size of the installer is 26 MB, which is a very large increase in size.  I understand that this is because of the JRE that must be bundled with it, but is there any way to reduce the size of the JRE, to only include the parts of the JRE that are used? Would this make the installer smaller? I'm hoping for a size of less than 10 MB to keep download times reasonable.  

Even though it's a private copy that only the application can access?  Hmmm, that's a shame.  I guess one last question is: when will (or will you ever) port the AWT and SWING libraries to x86 so that apps aren't dependent on a JRE?

Maybe we could have a description of Jet DLLs content so that some of them may not be included in the install package.

This is done automtically by JetPackII

Nice, nice Jet 4.0. The installer size went down from 52 to 29 MB.  No 1,5 hour profile compiling. Memory usage seems to be lesser at a first look, though I can't be sure.

Congratulations.

Dammit.  

I just started evaluating JET about three days ago, because I am looking to build a very small Java executable - a dockable ticker - that can be downloaded quickly and requires no JRE.  

My client has a dockable ticker app, but it's in C/C++.  They want to see it done in Java, and they want it to be as small as possible.  The current downloadable package is about 2.1M in size.  

And with the evaluation version of 3.7, I was able to get them a prototype that was only slightly targer.  I used SWT and Java 1.4 so I didn't need any runtime components.

But I haven't yet bought a license for JET - I didn't want to spend the dough until I won the contract.  And I have other similar projects I was looking forward to using JET for.  

What the heck do I do, now that I can't buy 3.7 from Excelsior, and 4.0 won't make anything smaller than - what, 8 megs?  That isn't gonna win me the contract.

Am I just screwed?

Larry Edelstein

San Francisco, CA

Unfortunately, our license agreement with Sun Microsystems for the Java Technoogy very clearly says that we must stop shipping the non-compliant solution in four months or when we release the compliant solution, whichever comes first.

We shall continue our negotiations with Sun concerning the possibility to get the download size reduction capability back into our  product. I think it would work better if our voice is accompanied by the voices of potential customers like you. If you want to help, drop me an email breifly describing your problem and include your contact information, so that we could attach it to our proposal to Sun.

Hi

I an currently evaluating JET for a JAI based application.  Jet and JetPack seem very easy to use. 

It is important that the size of my application is as small as possible. However the install exe is over 20meg in size, which is too large.

I noticed that the professional version of Jet used LZMA for the installer? How much is this likely to reduce the size of the install exe for my application?

The only problem is, I was hoping just to use the standard edition due to cost constraints.

Many thanks for any help..

Glenn

It is important that the size of my application is as small as possible. However the install exe is over 20meg in size, which is too large.

I noticed that the professional version of Jet used LZMA for the installer? How much is this likely to reduce the size of the install exe for my application?

The only problem is, I was hoping just to use the standard edition due to cost constraints.

The evaluation package is functionally equivalent to the Professional Edition. So if you have selected maximum compression and your package is over 20MB in size, it will remain so in the Pro Edition.

We have some ideas for download size reduction, which we plan to implement in the next major release, due 2Q2006.

With respect to cost, you have a few options to manage it:

• Actively participate in the beta test program and get a free license. We have granted two Pro licenses for Excelsior JET 4.0 to the beta testers who provided most valuable feedback.
  • If you cannot pay up front, consider Lease-To-Own Subscription, which lasts for 12 months and is priced from $95/month for the Pro Edition
  • If you would consider helping us promote Excelsior JET in exchange for a discount, email our Sales Dept. a brief description of your application.