Excelsior Forums
cneah

workstation run time

i currently own a license for 3.6 professional edition. I was to upgrade to 3.7. but I don't really understand

the workstation run time royalty versus classic

1-what are the advantages/differences of workstation versus classic

2-what distinguishes a rich client from a Visualization,software development etc

It seems that you will not be updating or improving the "classic" version anyway. So the choice is stay with

something that is no longer getting updated or possibly involuntarily violate the license agreement. or pay the 5000 per application (or 100 per copy). let's say you want to develop a shareware product competing with

something like MilkShape for games. that is "Visualization" technically. now you have to charge at least 100

dollars just to cover run time fee. most sharewares are priced between 20 to 40 dollars. that rules out Jet for

95% of shareware products as long as there is any Visualization, software development or engineering aspect to it . How about an add-on to CAD? an add on to an IDE that costs let's say $120 and i was to develop an add-on using JET then I would have to charge more than the IDE for an Add-on? how about an add-on to open source PDF library to render engineering diagram in a PDF or as a library and an application uses that library

is built. how do i know what workstation the final application is going to run on?

There are a lot of ways to either end up violating the agreement (involuntarily) or economically get cut out of whole range of software categories. Most small independant developers develop products around an already

popular product , and they can't compete if their prices are too high or cost as much as core product

feed back would be greatly appreciated . I am trying to evaluate if should upgrade or as a small independant developer I have been cut of the loop or I just don't understand the run time licensing scheme.  :huh:

You seem to have overlooked the Desktop Runtime, which is royalty-free. The Workstation Runtime is only needed for high-end  workstations with two CPU sockets, and only for applications that are designed to take advantage of multiple CPUs.

There is no difference in performance between the Desktop Runtime and the Workstation Runtime on a system with one CPU socket, even if the CPU supports HyperThreading or has two cores. There is also no difference on a multi-socket system if your application does not run two or more memory-intensive threads simultaneously.

We shall support and improve the Desktop Runtime together with the other runtimes, and it shall remain royalty-free.

Excelsior JET Runtime Fee Schedule