Excelsior Forums
es3754

Future 64-Bit Support?

Hello,

Just wondering now that JET is SUN certified, if there are future plans to support 64-Bit versions of Java?

I current have one of my servers running Windows 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition and would like to expirement with 64-Bit apps.

Also, for JET 4.0 -- have float's been optimized better or should I keep most of my calculations in double still?

Thanks,

es3754

I current have one of my servers running Windows 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition and would like to expirement with 64-Bit apps.

Of course, we plan to support x64 in future releases of Excelsior JET though particular dates are not yet defined.

Also, for JET 4.0 -- have float's been optimized better or should I keep most of my calculations in double still?

In version 4.0, we did not make any changes in code generation of FP operations.

My main interest in running on 64-bit AMD systems is to be able to address > 2G of RAM

I presume that JET generated applns runing on such hardware would still be limited to around 1.6gb, as if they were running on a 32-bit machine?

So that sort of leads me back to my original question ... any plans to support 64-bit apps that want to be free of the 32-bit address space limit?

The generation of 64-bit code is not planned for the next version of JET, namely JET 4.5.

So the creation of 64-bit applications, that are not restricted in virtual address space, can be expected not earlier than the fall of 2006.

-AlexM.

Thanks for that info - better to have a realistic idea of when things might be available than not at all. (I'm sure its no trivial task for you ;-)

BTW - I presume (for those of us not in the US) that Fall 2006 means sometime around September - November? ('Spring' to those in the southern hemisphere :-)

I don't see any response to this message.  Is there any update on the long-promised 64-bit compiler?

Any update on this?  64-bit support coming anytime soon?  I need to address >2G of RAM and can't wait to compile my app locally.

I need to address >2G of RAM and can't wait to compile my app locally.

You may address upto 4GB of RAM, if your 32-bit application (compiled with the current version of Excelsior JET) is run under a 64-bit operating system. We have checked that and it works.

If you need >4GB, it will be possible only after we release 64-bit version of Excelsior JET. The current status is given in this post.