Excelsior Forums
wm_mm

runtime error #3(trap) in jet

Most often, this error is caused by a JNI misuse from a native method.

In some cases, the application can work under Sun HotSpot JVM (by a lucky accident) despite such misuses.

We have similar support issues closed after finding bugs in third-party APIs using incorrect native methods.

Does your application use native methods?

The application uses a DLL called ICE_Registry to access Windows registry. But this happens since at least 2 Jet versions ago, and there never was any problem related to that DLL.

But this happens since at least 2 Jet versions ago, and there never was any problem related to that DLL.

We have made certain changes in JNI for JET 4.0

Of course, there is a chance for an introduced bug but that is most likely a JNI misuse.

-----

Ok, let's start learning the problem. Please, answer these questions.

1.? How can we reproduce the problem on our end?

2. Where can we download the exact version of ICE Registry you use in your application.

We've also run into this problem, and thanks to Dmitry and Alex we determined it was because of some bad behavior on the part of some AWT DLLs, so JNI was to blame.

However, it seems that the new JNI handling is causing a lot of these previously benign or at least masked errors to bubble to the surface for a lot of your customers.

We would greatly appreciate a way to catch these sorts of exceptions and put our own error dialog in between the cryptic "#3(trap)" error and our end user.

We have heard about the DLL hacking idea, and it's just not that workable for us, since the byte length has to be the same.

I would recommend putting in some way for your customers to wrap and catch this problem so that their customers never see it.

--Sean

Bellamax

1.? How can we reproduce the problem on our end?

The user hasn't told me how to reproduce the error and I don't know how. As no more reports have been made, I'm not taking care of the issue any more.

I'm getting this error when trying to use your product with the Galleon open source project:

galleon.tv

To reproduce the error download the source code of the project:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/galleon/galleon-2.2.0.src.zip?download

To build Galleon use Ant: ant package

The binaries will be placed in the build directory. The jar files in the build lib directory needs to be in the classpath and the main class is org.lnicholls.galleon.server.ServiceWrapper

Once the galleon.exe is generated it needs to be placed in the build bin directory to run.

Hi,

Thank you for your message.

We'll download galleon and investigate the problem in the near future.

I'll post results of the investigation here.

-AlexM.

I discovered a way to get around the issue: I had compiled the code with Sun's 1.5.0_06 JRE, but was using the 1.5.0_05 version of JET. Once I downloaded the 1.5.0_06 update for JET and recompiled the code with JET, the executable worked just fine.

I have investigated the problem and found, that the trap#3 runtime error in the case of galleon 2.2.0 is caused by bug in Excelsior JET.

This bug could appear on any application, that uses Hibernate (galleon 2.2.0 uses it).

It is already fixed by now.

You can contact java@excelsior-usa.com for the hotfix for your JET version and edition.

As you have noticed, the 1.5.0_06 add-on for the JET 4.1 includes this fix.

Also, the fix for this error will be included into the future maintenance packs, published on the web site.

Please, note, that the "runtime error #3(trap)" is a generic error, and if your application does not use Hibernate, it could be a different problem.

-AlexM.