Excelsior Forums
andresito

Installing Modula2 under Linux

Please, i need to know all the steps to install XDS under linux, im using SUSE 10.0

I tried to follow the steps in the readme but i think i don't know how to do the first step.

I downloaded the latest XDS and the Topspeed pack. (please try to explain for begginers)

Thanks.

I'll assume that english is not your birth language.  I am also assuming that this is more a language problem than a computer problem.  I will translate the instructions into simpler english.

1) If your system has a directory named /usr/local/xds,  the files will be installed there.

If your system does not have /usr/local/xds, the files will be installed in /usr/tmp.  Create /usr/local/xds, and move the files into it.

Change your path variable.  At a prompt, type: PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/xds/bin

1.2)  I did not do step 1.2, and my installation works fine.    I was using Fedora, not SUSE.  ( Does somebody else use SUSE ?  If so, please tell him what to do here. )

1.3)  At a prompt, type: su 

At a prompt, type: cd /usr/local/xds

At a prompt, type: ./apisyms-x86

2)    At a prompt, type: cd /usr/local/xds

At a prompt, type: mkdir wrk

At a prompt, type: cd wrk

At a prompt, type: xcwork

If you still have errors, tell use exactly what error messages you get.  I think that I have seen most of them when I intalled mine.

OK! that worked! and what about the TS extensions? I still have problems, I just moved the directory 'xds' from the 'xdsts' directory over the /usr/local/xds directory. When I do 'xc pepe.mod' the compiler tells me that it can't find the libray IO, and some *.sym files (but everything the program needs is in the same directory:  /usr/local/xds !!!!). 

I want to say that i've been using the TSM2 compiler and i needed to modify a .red redirection file to correct dependencies.

I'm from Argentina (South America), my root language is spanish, and if you still don't know where am I, im living in the same country where MARADONA lives (he was the best soccer player in the 80'). Thanks for your pacience.

Could you please give us more information?

In particular, what is being imported into pepe.mod that cannot be found?

Just out of curiousity, when you moved the ts directory over to /usr/local/xds - what did you do with the .sym files?  The redirection file has the compiler check /usr/local/xds/sym - so if you have them in a seperate directory outside of sym/ it won't be able to find them.

The compiler seems to find definition files fine, even if they are in subdirectories inside /usr/local/xds/def

It wouldn't do that with the symbol files. On mine, I have all of all the the ts symbol files just dumped in the x86 directory.  To keep my personal ones seperate, I had to physically edit /usr/local/xds/bin/xcwork

*.sym  = ./sym;$XDSDIR/sym/x86;$XDSDIR/sym/tkr

xc.red reads the same.  I can't remember if I manually changed that, or the system did, but I would say do it manually.  Remember though, that I am talking about adding a new directory to the symbol file directory.  The compiler should find the ts .sym files fine if they are inside of /usr/local/sym/x86

Terry