Excelsior Forums
TomasW

Sharing JET runtime between applications

A few questions about the JET runtime:

1. Is it true that multiple applications (.exe files) that are located in the same folder can use the same JET Runtime? The runtime in this case is located in the xjre subfolder.

2. Is it possible to move the xjre-folder to a different place and somehow inform the exe-files to look for it there?

Example structure:

Root
- Folder: xjre
    - runtime lib.
- Folder: Program1
    - exe-file
- Folder: Program2
    - exe-file

Any information is appreciated.

1. Is it true that multiple applications (.exe files) that are located in the same folder can use the same JET Runtime? The runtime in this case is located in the xjre subfolder.

Yes, it is. JetPackII automatically checks that added exe is a JET-compiled one and binds it to the xjre folder. No additional xre folders are added, and only one is used.

2. Is it possible to move the xjre-folder to a different place and somehow inform the exe-files to look for it there?

Yes, you can create a folder and move "xjre" there. JetPackII will understand where "xjre" is moved and will bind it to all the JET executables in the package.

Yes, you can create a folder and move "xjre" there. JetPackII will understand where "xjre" is moved and will bind it to all the JET executables in the package.

2b. Does this mean that the executables are "statically" binded to the folder at compile-time? I'm interrested in a solution where the customer could somehow choose if the runtime should be either in a direct subfolder or in a completely different folder (such as a subfolder to the parent folder). Is that possible to do?

The background info on this is that we have about ten different applications, and some customer choose to put them in different folders, and some choose to put them into the same folder. If I could spare them the overhead of ~ 50 MB per application, that yould be great.

3. If the xjre folder is write-protected for the current user, does that cause the runtime to malfunction or is it OK? (I want to be sure that no runtime files are changed or deleted.)

Thank you for your support.

2b. Does this mean that the executables are "statically" binded to the folder at compile-time? I'm interrested in a solution where the customer could somehow choose if the runtime should be either in a direct subfolder or in a completely different folder (such as a subfolder to the parent folder). Is that possible to do?

The executables in the package are bound to the xjre folder not at compile time. Rather, they are bound during creation of the installation package. After creation of the package, you cannot change the location of xjre. It is bound to the executable statically, indeed.

The background info on this is that we have about ten different applications, and some customer choose to put them in different folders, and some choose to put them into the same folder. If I could spare them the overhead of ~ 50 MB per application, that yould be great.

Just create a package containg all the applications. The xjre folder will be used by all of them.

3. If the xjre folder is write-protected for the current user, does that cause the runtime to malfunction or is it OK? (I want to be sure that no runtime files are changed or deleted.)

Sure, the xjre folder can be write-protected. It is not changed after application is installed.