Excelsior Forums
gandra

Standard vs Professional?

Hello,

What's the difference between Excelsior standard and professional edition?

I am interested in selling my desktop Java applications using Excelsior, so can I use standard edition for that purpose?

Thanks!

Dragan

Hi all,

I'm using a JET 4.1 Evaluation version and I've readed the Feature Matrix page, but I still need help, because I'm not sure about what version I have to buy (Standard or Professional).

My java application use SWING/AWT and I've compiled and packed it with JET Eval and JETPack II and it works fine.

I've used all default settings and a "Classic" runtime option to compile it, and packed it with Excelsior installer who adds also desktop icons to the application.

My question is:

may I purchase the Standard version to do this, or I need the Professional (probably too expensive for me) ?

Thanks

Choose also "Moderate size reduction" in "Compressing results in" combobox on the last page of JetPackII to get  the same binary as you will get in Standard. If you are satisfied with its resulting size then probably Standard Edition fits you.

Choose also "Moderate size reduction" in "Compressing results in" combobox on the last page of JetPackII to get? the same binary as you will get in Standard. If you are satisfied with its resulting size then probably Standard Edition fits you.

Thanks Kit.

And what about shortcuts with custom icons ?

The "Feature Matrix" page, in the "What you can do with it" section in the bottom of the page says "Create arbitrary shortcuts with custom icons in Excelsior Installer-based setups" is possible just for the Professional edition.

Is there any difference in the Excelsior installer between Standard edition and Professional edition ?

Yes, there are some differences. You can not add file assotiations and assign custom icon to shortcut in Standard. However if you specify an icon to an executable in JET Control Panel -- it will be displayed as shortcut icon also. On the other hand if you would like to add shortcut to file that is not jet compiled executable, there will be no way to assign it custom icon.

Thanks again.

Sorry, but I've another question, wich is an extension of the last one

My application have two executable files:

the first one is a setup program for the second one wich is the main application. Both are Excelsior compiled specifing a custom icon for each one.

I've packed the two executables and attached resource files in a single distribution file using JetPack II and Excelsior installer, asking Excelsior installer to create (on Windows desktop) two shortcuts to the two executables files.

Can I do this with Jet STANDARD edition ?

Note you can crossgrade from Standard to Professional at any point in the future, just make sure to keep the product version current by purchasing and renewing the annual Maintenance Contract.

If the cost of the Professional Edition is too high for an up front payment, consider purchasing a Lease-To-Own subscription instead.