Excelsior Forums
JJesper

Looking for a second hand copy of Excelsior 3.7

I am looking for a second hand copy of Excelsior Jet 3.7 for Windows.

Please contact me if you are interested in selling:

jesper (at) soupgames (dot) net

-Jesper Juul

Dear Jesper,

Excelsior JET  DEVELOPMENT LICENSE is non-transferable so such a "second hand" license will be null and void not to mention the technical support option.

----------

We have noticed that you registered as a beta tester of the next version of Excelsior JET which, in particular, will address the download size issue.

Please have a bit of patience.  ;)

With best wishes,

--ZZ Top

Unfortunately, I am working on a downloadable game project for which the maximum download size is 10MB (this is a pretty common limit for this kind of project). So while I can live with the JRE adding 2-3 MB, I cannot live with it adding (say) 8MB to the download.

As I understand it, I can achieve this kind of download size with Excelsior 3.7, but not with 4.x (in my tests at least).

With Excelsior 4.5 beta, the installer for a hello world program ends up at 9.2 Megs in my tests.

Is this what is expected, or am I doing something wrong?

Not bad, taking into account that the JRE 5.0 available at Sun web is about 15MB.  B)

SwingSet2 built in this mode is 11MB.

-----------------

The question was what about *your*project, not hello?

My project ended up at around 10 MB for the programming alone (it uses SDL, so no depencies on AWT etc..).

I agree, the savings are impressive compared to shipping the entire jre. Still, it doesn't solve my problem since I was hoping to reserve 8MB of a 10MB download for graphics and sound ...

That's the reason I was hoping to use an earlier version.

Thanks!

As I understand it, the main problem is that the Sun license requires everybody to distribute the entire JRE, even if only parts of it bare being used?

I was wondering if would be legally possible to distribute a version of the JRE that only includes the actually used JRE components, but downloaded the remaining parts of the JRE from a website if it was required?

Just a thought.

I was wondering if would be legally possible to distribute a version of the JRE that only includes the actually used JRE components, but downloaded the remaining parts of the JRE from a website if it was required?

Yes, it's possible and we have implemented a framework for this model (we call it Distributed Deployment)  in JET 4.5

We plan to enable it in future versions.

The only question is whether systems of your end users have stable internet connection so that the JET Runtime can load the rest of classes from the server when necessary?

If answer is yes, then it's legally possible

To continue this thread,

"The only question is whether systems of your end users have stable internet connection so that the JET Runtime can load the rest of classes from the server when necessary?"

Depends - since my program does not use AWT or Swing, I can guarantee that users will have an internet connection whenever the JRE tries to load Swing, since that will never happen?

Is it possible to preselect which parts of the runtime go in the Distributed Deployment, so that a net connection is not practically necessary?

Depends - since my program does not use AWT or Swing

How can you guarantee this condition? I understand that you do not use AWT/Swing in your app classes. But that's not enough.

The standard Java classes (rt.jar) have very strong interdependencies so there may happen that a part of Swing classes is required for execution even though the app itself has no GUI at all. We saw such examples, e.g. the RMI implementing classes uses some classes from AWT.

Let's try the following. You run your app under HotSpot specifying

"-verbose:classes" on the command line and send us (java@excelsior-usa.com) the log of the loaded classes printed to the console.

We will then check it and go on this discussion.

--ZZ Top