Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
uranus

One-year anniversary of XDS Freeware release

And thanks for not forgetting about the product after releasing it for free. By the way: Is it still true that the Modula-2/Oberon-2 toolchain of XDS is used in electronics for recent satellites? Just curious...

Regards,

Christoph

any news about open sourcing process?

I am sure, that community will provide help in porting modula-2/oberon compilers to new/other platforms and operating systems, will fix bugs, write improvements, what we are unable to do still.

Thanks

What toolchain is used to build the XDS system? As style of arguments and configuration files is definitly very individualized compared to the usual monopolizing GNU and Microsoft styles I am wondering which programs are in use? Just out of my interest...

Friendly greetings,

Christoph

The XDS core is bootstrapped. The runtime is written in Modula-2 and a bit of assembly (in case of Native XDS-x86), and the compiler is written in Oberon-2.

Other components:

IDE - C (do not ask why :) )

XD - Modula-2

XLINK - C++

etc.

Is there any ongoing process to open source the compilers?!!

I would be really interested in finding more information about it.

I am developing an Eclipse-based Modula-2 IDE. Currently, it only supports the GNU compiler, but I would be happy to integrate the XDS compiler as long as it is open source.

Someone has already shown interest in having an ISO compiler integrated in the environment. Probably more people would be happy to see that.

Thanks.

any news about open sourcing process?

I am sure, that community will provide help in porting modula-2/oberon compilers to new/other platforms and operating systems, will fix bugs, write improvements, what we are unable to do still.

Thanks

No, there is not.

There is another question.

Do you have some plans about 64 bit version?

There is another question.

Do you have some plans about 64 bit version?

Given the broadness of your question, I could say that we are working on it right now. However, that is going to be a custom Modula-2 compiler targeting a CPU architecture other than x64, and an operating system other than Windows or Linux...

Then, the core components of Excelsior JET, namely the AOT compiler and the JVM (except the fast JIT compiler), are written in Oberon-2 and Modula-2 respectively. So if we ever decide to do a 64-bit version of Excelsior JET, we would have to either convert the runtime to C++ or retarget XDS Modula-2 to x64. In that sense, there is a chance that there will be Native XDS-x64. However, the compiler we are using for Excelsior JET development is again a Native XDS-x86 branch customized for our specific needs, so I do not think we'll ever release it to the public.

In short, we are not going to finance a complete port of XDS to x64 or, for that matter, any other platform, ourselves.

Snowman wrote (in part):

However, that is going to be a custom Modula-2 compiler targeting a CPU architecture other than x64, and an operating system other than Windows or Linux...

I find it heartening that interest in Modula-2 is strong enough for such a commissioned port. :)  Can you tell us the CPU architecture?

No, there is not.

Another related question: are there any plans to combine the XDS-x86 compiler (not necessarily open source) and a BlackBox Framework?