Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thaniyarasu

EXE setup file size too big...

I created EXE file to run in other machines by using JetPackII . That file size is  60MB .I want that file size should be less then 1 MB . If i do the same program in c++  then that EXE file size  is 100 KB only...will this Excelsior give like that EXE (100KB size) file...

Hello,

With the current version of Excelsior JET there is no way to reduce the download size.

Due to Sun license restrictions,  Java platform API (and thus JET runtime DLLs) cannot be subset even though its large parts are not used by the application.

In other words, smart linking like that for C/C++ cannot help.

Please note that we are currently working on the download size reduction. The next version 4.5 of Excelsior JET gives a solution to reduce the download size. JET4.5 features a new build mode, which allows to compile application classes together with the required Java platform classes into a single executable.

The platform classes that were not compiled are packaged into a jar and then effectively compressed. This new build mode can improve application start up time and performance, reduce the download size.

Please take a look at the following numbers:

Sizes of packages to be delivered to customers (complete Java SE 5.0 implementation were used):

SwingSet2 11MB

SwtExample 10MB

jAlbum 16MB

You can try this new feature in JET 4.5 beta http://www.excelsior-usa.com/beta.html.  For more information, see <http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetroadmap.html>.

However, package size of 1MB is absolutely impossible for standalone application (i.e. independent of JRE presence on the target machine) with the current Sun's license policy.

Regards,

Pavel

However, package size of 1MB is absolutely impossible for standalone application (i.e. independent of JRE presence on the target machine) with the current Sun's license policy.

Moreover, if Sun's license policy were less restrictive, 1 MB is technically impossible anyway for Java 5.0, since even HelloWorld loads more than 1MB of classes/native methods libraries/resources on its startup. Indeed, HotSpot loads ~400 classes for HelloWorld -- you can see that by specifying -verbose:class on the command line of the java launcher. So even if you put them all together you will get >1MB, and it should be some space for JVM, native methods libraries and so on...

That file size is? 60MB .

It is quite strange that you got 60 MB since JET RT alone is about 15MB for JET 4.1. It means that 45 MB is your own files. Make sure that you did not include unnecessary files to the ibstallation, such as JET temporal files (.sym, .bod, .obj files etc.)